GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Hello all! New guy here.

Started by JasonK94Z, January 04, 2011, 07:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonK94Z

Hi everyone.  I am new to this board, and also new to gps stuff also.  I live in Kansas City, KS.  I own a Nuvi 255w that I can use without a hitch in the car.  No big deal. 
Just recently, Santa brought me a new Garmin 60 CSX.  I ride a dual sport motorcycle, and love to ride gravel and dirt roads, and camp out off of it.  I have mounted the 60CSX to my bike using a Ram mount. 
The map on the 60CSX is way too simple, and doesn't have a lot of details.  For gravel and dirt roads, is City Nav my best bet?  Or should I look into something free such as Ibycus? 
Also, I have access to alot of trails, gravel roads, routes for dual sport riding in .gpx formats.  Can I use these with Ibycus in Mapsource to upload the routes into my gps? 

I guess where I am going with this is, what is the easiest way to get a .gpx route into my gps so i can go there and ride the route? 

Thanks everyone in advance.  I look forward to reading the articles and tutorials on this site to learn how to make the most out of my new 60csx.

alpine

My suggestion for off road stuff is the free topo maps available on this site.

Follow the tutorials for installing MapSource exactly! Download and install the topo map for your area.

Plan your route in MapSource and transfer to your GPS unit ( the 200 series will not do routes but the 60 will).

Any questions or problems just ask on the forums, some one will be happy to give you guidance.

JasonK94Z

Thank you Alpine.  I do not plan to use the 255 on the bike at all.  So I am fixing up the 60CSx to do its thing off road for me. 

alpine

I use a Nuvi 500 (bigger screen is required for us older guys) on an ATV for off road.

After a ride, I download the track, and save it for a future ride where I will make a route from the track (Nuvi's will not follow tracks).

Works well for me.

maps4gps

Ibycus is now three versions of Census TIGER files old.  TIGER files (and Ibycus) do not have contour lines and Ibycus did not include POIs from other sources.  TIGER does not have much in the way of trails as what is of concern to Census is where people live.  See MyTrails for an overlay mapset of trails.  Jim is looking for additional trails to included, so send him the .gpx files of the trails you have.   The .gpx trails,etc.  should be usable on any GPSr.

Boyd

Quote from: JasonK94Z on January 04, 2011, 07:07:07 AMAlso, I have access to alot of trails, gravel roads, routes for dual sport riding in .gpx formats.  Can I use these with Ibycus in Mapsource to upload the routes into my gps?

Are you sure these are ROUTES and not TRACKS? The difference is very important. If they are ROUTES, then they will not be useful unless you install a routable Garmin map product such as City Navigator or the 24k topo series. Routes only consist of points at key intersections, and the map that is installed on the GPS must be capable of figuring out how to get between them.

jbensman

Quote from: maps4gps on January 04, 2011, 08:01:21 AM
See MyTrails for an overlay mapset of trails.  Jim is looking for additional trails to included, so send him the .gpx files of the trails you have.   

I want to clairify.  Many of the gpx files out there are a track of where somoene went.  That's not what I am looking for.  What I am looking for are tracks of trails not already in My Trails (or which have corrections) or roads that can be added.  (Waypoints too.)  If it is just a track of where someone went, I cannot tell what is the trail, road, going off the trail, etc.  So the raw tracks need to be cleaned up before I can add them to My Trails (which has quite a bit of roads and trails in KS and MO).  Probably within a week there will be a newer version of My Trails with more data for MO and KS. 

JasonK94Z

Quote from: jbensman on January 04, 2011, 05:32:58 PM
Quote from: maps4gps on January 04, 2011, 08:01:21 AM
See MyTrails for an overlay mapset of trails.  Jim is looking for additional trails to included, so send him the .gpx files of the trails you have.   

I want to clairify.  Many of the gpx files out there are a track of where somoene went.  That's not what I am looking for.  What I am looking for are tracks of trails not already in My Trails (or which have corrections) or roads that can be added.  (Waypoints too.)  If it is just a track of where someone went, I cannot tell what is the trail, road, going off the trail, etc.  So the raw tracks need to be cleaned up before I can add them to My Trails (which has quite a bit of roads and trails in KS and MO).  Probably within a week there will be a newer version of My Trails with more data for MO and KS. 

If I were to send you a gpx file, would you be able to tell me if it was a track or a route?  Can we try that out?

jbensman

Sure. 

And if they are goig to need cleaning up, you could do that and send me the cleaned up file.