GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

60 csx - City Navigator?

Started by Bullshooter, January 01, 2011, 09:37:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bullshooter

You folks have helped me get started, and I have succeeded in loading MS and LA topos on my 60, so many thanks.

What would you recommend if I wanted to load a map something like the NUVI's or TOM TOMs have, to help navigate on the roads?  I did not notice any maps like that on the download page.  Is that something I should buy?

The base map that came with the unit only has major roads.

Thanks again.

Bruce

Boyd

Before purchasing City Navigator, consider what you will use it for. It's paradoxical, but will probably actually be cheaper to buy a low end Nuvi that already includes City Navigator than just purchasing City Navigator. And you will get a better screen, voice prompts, car mount and power cord as part of the bargain.

On your 60csx, if you include the City Navigator DVD, a car mount and power adaptor it will surely cost more than something like a Nuvi 205, 1100 or 1200. We saw the Nuvi 205 on sale for $68 about a week ago for example. If you watch for a sale, you can probably also score a widescreen model like the Nuvi 205w or 255w in the $80 to $100 range.

Bullshooter

Wow.  Good to know.  Thanks for the tip.

On a separate note, I found an interesting problem which I have apparently solved, but as the saying goes, "I don't understand all I know about that."  So here goes:

After downloading and transferring much of the southeast portion of the Louisiana Topo, and much of the southern portion of the Mississippi topo, I was getting some anomalous maps showing when I ventured into the geographic area where the boundaries overlapped.  I went into the map setup, and clicked off the map block titled Mississippi Topo_J3, and the problem disappeared.  When I compared this block in Mapsource to the map block from the La topo titled MTI0893010, I noticed numerous discrepancies, including the words "United Houma Nation" in several places on the land bridge between lakes Pontchartrain and Borgne.  Not sure what that is about, and I'm from here.  I am willing to work with the mapmaker if I could be helpful somehow.

In any case, is this a common problem if two adjacent maps overlap?  What is the best remedy, or should I just do as I explained above?

Thanks in advance,

maps4gps

That issue is probably due to the two mapsets having slightly different borders; which is likely to occur where the adjacent mapsets were created by two map authors.  Turn the mapset off for the State which you are not in. 
I will check on the 'United Houma Nation' issue in the current Census TIGER files which were released for LA in Dec.  It is likely a labeling issue in the source data. 

CanyonHiker17

Quote from: Boyd on January 01, 2011, 11:16:20 AM
Before purchasing City Navigator, consider what you will use it for. It's paradoxical, but will probably actually be cheaper to buy a low end Nuvi that already includes City Navigator than just purchasing City Navigator. And you will get a better screen, voice prompts, car mount and power cord as part of the bargain.

Best advice ever!  That's what I did, went for a no-frills Nuvi with voice prompts.  I didn't need traffic updates, blue tooth compatibility, etc.  The Nuvi screen is larger and easily visible for when you have to take your eyes off the road for a second.  But with the voice prompt, I never need to do that.  I just plug in a street address and off I go.  I can't imagine trying to follow directions while driving by using the 60csx.

maps4gps

The only location labeled 'United Homa Nation' in the 2010 Census TIGER is in the Houma area.  Which mapset does this occur in, LA topo or MS topo?

Bullshooter

In the MS map.  The Indian tribe is centered in the Houma area, and I had not heard of them owning land in the Lake Borgne area.

maps4gps

UHN is not in the 2010 files for MS.  Could be a Census mis-labeling or something gone 'wrong' with the way OZ processed the data.  Being two versions old now (TIGER 2010 for those two States was released in Dec., 2010) I would not consider it worth the time to 'correct'.

maps4gps

Checked the 2009 Census TIGER and they mistakenly show the United Homa Nation as including much of SE's LA.  Likely the 2008 files were similiar.