GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

gmapsupp.img

Started by nhfish, December 30, 2010, 11:34:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nhfish

New here, been lurking over a year on a few sights, got this one from gps review 8 months ago. Heres my issue, got a sd card for birthday 1/24,000 northeast I would like to get it on mapsourse but I get unable to read. I would like to down load part of it into my rino 530, doesn't have the card slot. I have a 530hcx that it goes in and works fine. Would think I could put it on mapsourse and use it to transfer from one device to the other. Worse case sinario would like to atleast be able to open it in mapsourse so I can print maps. Downloaded the nh topo from this sight so really don't care if I can put sd card  info into 530. Use these hunting, one I use the other a buddy. Can't believe its an issue of not allowed.  Is there a way to open it without it being in the rino? Can I atleast use it in mapsourse without transfering to the other unit. Does no good to be in unit and not be able to put things in mapsourse and google earth.  I see there are a few things I can download to view it, I think but not sure if can or can't and or which is better.

maps4gps

Tell it to Garmin; that is the way they designed their system to work.  That is one the downside of getting Garmin mapsets on pre-recorded micro memory cards.  Also do not try to add other map data to the pre-recorded card - doing so may corrupt the pre-recorded mapset and Garmin has not been willing to replace it.

All is not lost.  Download BaseCamp from Garmin's website.  That software will allow you to view Garmin data on micro memory cards.  It may not allow you to transfer the data to the rhino.

If you can do so, I would suggest you return the pre-recorded card and get the mapset on DVD.  There have been may discussions on the + and - of the three options for obtaining Garmin mapsets on numerous forums/sites the past year.

Boyd

There are a couple issues here. First, regardless of what format you purchased the map, it could only be using in ONE gps at a time. If you get the DVD, you could install it on the 530 with Mapsource. But it would be permanently locked to that unit and not available to install on the 530hcx. That's the way their licensing works.

The card is a good choice if you want to use the map in more than one GPS - but obviously all units will need a slot. The card has hardware copy protection, so you can't make another copy or move the map to another device. But the original card itself will work in any GPS with a slot.

Basecamp will indeed let you use the map on your computer, but you will be accessing it in read-only mode directly on the card. You cannot copy the data from the card to your computer. To frustrate you even further, Garmin has disabled printing of maps that are stored on cards like this. Seems odd to me and others, but the software developers have defended the policy on Garmin's own forum, saying that it's needed due to licensing restrictions with the map data provider (Navteq in the case of the 24k topo).

So if you need the map on the 530, or if you want to print it, you will need to purchase the DVD in addition to the card you already have.

Boyd

Yeah, have heard that too, and don't know because the only one I own is on a data card. The 100k topos are definitely not locked, but they don't contain any Navteq data (routable roads) like the 24k.

CanyonHiker17

I have the Southwest 24K topo on a DVD and it's not locked.  I loaded maps from it to my Garmin Oregon (before I lost it   >:(  ) and have since loaded maps from it to my 60csx.

And yes, before you ask, I like the 60csx better than the Oregon...at least I can see the screen in the direct sunlight in Grand Canyon!   ;D

maps4gps

Maybe they can use older Navteq data on the 24k topos.  Or perhaps they do not include the address information and/or generalize the locations some.
On Garmin's website it says CN uses Navteq, however, I see no mention of what is used for the 24K topos. 
Someone posted about 2 months ago about the Census TIGER roads being better in some locations than what was in CN.
Garmin's website is listing CN North America NT for $79.99 and lower 48 for $59.99.  I thought they used to be over $100.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: nhfish on December 30, 2010, 11:34:11 AMHeres my issue, got a sd card for birthday 1/24,000 northeast I would like to get it on mapsourse but I get unable to read.
Sorry but MapSource won't read and display a map from a SD card, only BaseCamp will. You might look into returning the datacard for the DVD edition.

nhfish

Let me first start with saying thank you for the replies!! I was hoping for a different answer but its basically useless, other then finding my way around, crap I can do that with a compass. Makes no sense not to be able to print your map, useless. I've had no luck with garmin customer service, I own a early etrex 90's sometime I'm guessing and a newer one, a 120 and the two 530 rino's and I've never got a resolve from customer service. My review would be horrible. The 530 has a range of less then a half a mile, gmrs mode both radio and location of other radio, and thats on flet ground, go over the hill and now you can cut that in half. Anyone know of another radio having the 530 capabilities thats actually worth the 500 beans. I'm not a loyal garmin customer anymore, this issue "locked that". Useless that's what I have, and thanks again.  I'm going to check out a couple of mapsforgps links and scrabble from here.

nhfish

Okay, peeked around, looks like I'm out of luck. Question--If I install base camp, we say it will open the sd card in read only--correct.  I hate to download this if it has no other use, from reading it seems it might be easier to use for my own mapping, and has better features then mapsourse is this correct. Is there any advantages other then opening a read only on sd card. Can I print off base camp. All I'm looking to do is print maps with deer crossings, trails, bedding areas. I'm starting a classs in a couple weeks on gis mapping. Taking this thinking I may be able to use it mapping my deer hunting stomping grounds. With this, a bit of guidance for where I should go from here would be appreciated.

Boyd

Basecamp will display your 24k topo in 3d, if you care. It can print maps, no problem, but Garmin does not allow you to print maps that are provided on SD cards as I mentioned above. Basecamp has a number of other features, such as downloading aerial imagery (BirdsEye) but your GPS can't do that, so no advantage there.

"Better" is subjective. It's not such a big deal to download and try for yourself. Mapsource and Basecamp are consumer oriented programs. Garmin has designed them to work with their own maps. We mapmakers have sort of "hijacked" them for use with our own maps, and they work fine for that, but Garmin does not support maps from this site, they only support their own products. Basecamp and Mapsource aren't what I would consider GIS applications.

f you want to get into mapmaking you will probably want professional software. See what your class recommends. This kind of software can be expensive. Many of us around here use GlobalMapper, which is a fantastic program. It cannot directly create Garmin maps however, but is used to prepare data for compilation into Garmin maps with cgpsmapper.

JoeMT

Anything that can be displayed on a Windows computer screen can be printed.  Try Print Screen button, or better yet in Vista there's Snipping Tool.  Zoom in first....

nhfish

Okay as pianful as it was I got bascamp in computer, but I can"t see the map, it has identified card in f slot, tap all data and nothing appears, it also imported my other maps I downloaded from this sight. How do I retrieve the read only map from this card. Thanks

nhfish

tried the tutorial ---right click install maps, getting not all data can be retrieved need topo 2008

Indrid Cold

Quote from: nhfish on December 31, 2010, 01:24:08 PM
  Okay as pianful as it was I got bascamp in computer, but I can"t see the map, it has identified card in f slot, tap all data and nothing appears, it also imported my other maps I downloaded from this sight. How do I retrieve the read only map from this card. Thanks
??? You didn't send any maps to a pre programmed Garmin datacard did you???

Quote from: nhfish on December 31, 2010, 01:29:27 PM
  tried the tutorial ---right click install maps, getting not all data can be retrieved need topo 2008
The tutorial is for sending maps to a blank datacard, not for reading a preprogrammed Garmin datacard, you might have just erased your TOPO map from the card.