GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Downloaded Maps don't show in MapSource

Started by mrcyogi, December 30, 2010, 06:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boyd

Quote from: jbensman on January 02, 2011, 07:12:33 AMWhen you run MapSettool kit, what shows in its window called mapsets installed?

Quote from: mrcyogi on January 02, 2011, 05:17:34 AMInstalled MapSetToolKit. The only map showing is CN.

I think that's what he already did on his Win 7 machine, and the only map that it shows is City Navigator. He then said that on another machine running Vista, MSTK correctly shows a number of maps that he installed.

This one is a puzzler.

Boonieman

I had the exact same problem until I went into the system registry and made a few changes. For some reason the auto installer for the Florida Topomap is making registry changes in the wrong location. Instead of adding to HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Garmin\Mapsource, it puts everything under HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Garmin\Mapsource (note the additional Wow6432Node level). This seems to only happen under Windows 7 64-bit.

Shawn

jbensman

Boonieman  I've got Win 7 64 bit on my laptop and have never had any problem installing maps on it.  I just downloaded and installed FL topo and it worked fine.  Is FL Topo the only map you had this problem with?

mrcyogi

Forgive me. I installed the Kit on the new laptop; only CN shows as installed (FL Topo being the test and installed on the laptop. I mentioned that the Kit installed on my desktop shows all the installed maps I've downloaded to that PC.

jbensman

Quote from: mrcyogi on January 02, 2011, 09:21:27 AM
Forgive me. I installed the Kit on the new laptop; only CN shows as installed (FL Topo being the test and installed on the laptop. I mentioned that the Kit installed on my desktop shows all the installed maps I've downloaded to that PC.

You are still not answering in a way I can understand what you mean.  Your statements appear to contridict each other.  I think you are saying only CN shows up in MapSource but all the maps you have prevsiously tried to install shows up in the maps installed window of mapsettoolkit.  Is that correct?  If it is, have you clicked on the maps (beisdes CN) and then clicked uninstall and then reinstalled FL Topos? 

Boyd

Quote from: Boonieman on January 02, 2011, 07:53:57 AMFor some reason the auto installer for the Florida Topomap is making registry changes in the wrong location.

There you go, that's why I asked if the OP was running Win 7 64 because I remembered some discussion about this related to the NSIS installer. As far as I'm concerned, the Windows registry is some kind of black magic that I don't really understand so I don't mess with it (I'm very comfortable messing with unix, linux and MacOS.... Windows, not so much).

OK, you guys made me dig for it. This is the thread. Don't know if it's related, but it's the only smoking gun I see in the room.  ;D http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,1022.0.html

Boyd

jbensman, I think you've missed an important detail. The OP has tried to install the same GPSFileDepot maps on TWO DIFFERENT COMPUTERS. They work as expected on Vista and MSTK lists all the maps, including City Navigator. But on his Win 7 64 machine, the installer has not worked correctly and neither mapsource nor MSTK show any maps other than the real Garmin City Navigator.

Boonieman

The problem seems to only happen if the HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Garmin\MapSource\Family registry key is missing (like it is on a fresh install of Mapsource). If it already exist, the auto installer works flawlessly. The FL Topo map was the only one I tried.

Boonieman

Quote from: Boonieman on January 02, 2011, 10:07:58 AM
The problem seems to only happen if the HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Garmin\MapSource\Family Family registry key is missing (like it is on a fresh install of Mapsource). If it already exist, the auto installer works flawlessly. The FL Topo map was the only one I tried.

Correction: I should have said HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Garmin\MapSource\Families registry key.

jbensman

Quote from: Boyd on January 02, 2011, 09:54:29 AM
jbensman, I think you've missed an important detail. The OP has tried to install the same GPSFileDepot maps on TWO DIFFERENT COMPUTERS. They work as expected on Vista and MSTK lists all the maps, including City Navigator. But on his Win 7 64 machine, the installer has not worked correctly and neither mapsource nor MSTK show any maps other than the real Garmin City Navigator.

Sortof  :) I knew it was working on one computer and not the other.  What threw me was "desktop"  I was not understanding that as desktop computer but rather the desktop of the computer. 

Now with that understanding, my question would be on the laptop, are the img files there?  If they are, he could try mapsettoolkit to install the imgs into mapsource.  Is not there a tutorial on how to do this?

jbensman

Quote from: Boonieman on January 02, 2011, 10:07:58 AM
The problem seems to only happen if the HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Garmin\MapSource\Family registry key is missing (like it is on a fresh install of Mapsource). If it already exist, the auto installer works flawlessly. The FL Topo map was the only one I tried.

That would explain why it works fine on my 64 bit win7.  But how would I have gotten the regestry entry there to begin with?  I THINK I only used installers to install maps on my laptop.  But there is a posibility I could have used mapsettoolkit for some of my maps.

Is there a way to modify the installers to make sure that entry is there?

Boonieman

Quote from: jbensman on January 02, 2011, 10:33:42 AM
But how would I have gotten the regestry entry there to begin with?  I THINK I only used installers to install maps on my laptop.  But there is a posibility I could have used mapsettoolkit for some of my maps.

Is there a way to modify the installers to make sure that entry is there?

Probably if you upgraded your laptop from Windows XP or Vista, the change would have been carried over to Windows 7.

I'm guessing the programmer that wrote the installer would have to make some changes to the code. I wouldn't think it would be that difficult.

Boyd

Again, I get lost with this registry stuff, but did you read the thread I linked to above? It appears to address this same issue. And note that Oz says he revised the installer script that's included in the tutorials here to address the problem.

jbensman

Boonieman, my laptop came with Win 7 64 bit.  So there is still a mystery of why all the installers have worked on my laptop.

Boyd, I am with you, I don't understand the regestry stuff.  I think you are right that thread addresses the issue.  Does that mean we all need to redo all of our installers?  None of my installer scripts have that stuff in them.

Marshall, can you try installing My Trails and see if it works? 

Boyd

That's a good question about the installers because mine are also based on the old version. Interesting that we haven't seen others complaining about this issue here.

My only other thought is that some kind of virus protection might be preventing the maps from installing.