GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Downloaded Maps don't show in MapSource

Started by mrcyogi, December 30, 2010, 06:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrcyogi

Hello helpers. I've read relevant posts here on the subject and tried every combo suggested. I've now uninstalled the maps I've downloaded from GPSFile Depot and reinstalled only the FL topo. It installed in Programs 86 on my Windows 7 PC. Mapsource is the latest version and shows only City Navigagtor which I purchased from Garmin. No maps other maps show in View/Map Manager; there is no box with the arrow for selecting other maps on the upper left of MapSource.?? Helllllp!!

Boyd

I'm pretty sure you need to install Mapsource BEFORE you try to install any maps from here. Maybe that's the problem? I suppose it could also be some Win 7 issue, but I use a variety of my own home-made mapsets on Win 7 and everything works as expected. Could be some issue with the installer for that specific map perhaps?

If you don't see the map selection dropdown in the upper left, at least that's one question I can answer.  :) View > Show Toolbars > View will make it appear.

Indrid Cold

In MapSource you can go: View, Switch to Product>[list of installed maps][/list]

mrcyogi

I guess I wasn't clear. Sorry. I've done all this. The only map showing in MapSource is City Navigator. I've uninstalled MapSource and all the topos I've downloaded from GPSFile Depot and reinstalled MapSource and then the topo maps. I've run the topos and saved to my PC and then installed... I've saved the topos and had them install with the auto installer. No luck. The Garmin site forums don't help.... Stuck.

Seldom

Which GPSfiledepot maps are you having problems with?

Boyd

Garmin won't support the maps from this site. Unless there's something missing from your description, you've got me stumped. I wonder is a real Garmin product like the 100k topo's would install properly? At least Garmin would help you with that.

I hope somebody else can sort this out for you. Is there another computer you can try this on? If it works for you there, it would point to some kind of issue with your computer. If it doesn't work there, you must be doing something wrong.

CanyonHiker17

I have downloaded Arizona topo, Utah topo, New Mexico topo, Colorado topo, and New Hampshire topo, and MyTrails, all from this site and they all show up on MapSource, as does my Southwest 24K topo.  I did find though that you need to have all of your topos un-installed from your computer before installing MapSource....then install the maps one at a time.  And instead of un-installing the maps, You may actually have to make sure you delete the file folders where they are installed or the re-installation may only install what is not already there.  I don't believe you have to go as far as eliminating all of the registry entries for those maps, but you may want to delete the actual "exe" map files first, then install MapSource, THEN re-download all of the maps, install them, then start up MapSource and see if they aren't in the drop down menu.  I'd even go so far as re-booting the computer before starting MapSources after its installation.  I actually found that my Southwest 24K didn't show up on MapSource right away, but only after about the 3rd or 4th time that I ran MapSource, and it may have been after a computer re-boot.  I can't exactly remember all the details, just that I do recall there were some weird anomolies involved.

If nothing works after that, I am clueless!   ;D

jbensman

The installers (i.e., exe files) place entires in the regestry.  When removing a map, you have to use the uninstall to remove the regestry entries.  Canyonhiker is incorrect.  If these entries are not removed and you remove the img files, MapSource will not open and you will get an error message.  The regestry entries tell MapSource where the img (and a few other files are).  Actually you do not need to remove the img files or the exe file to remove the map from MapSource.  The only thing that matters is the regestry entries.  So ALWAYS use the uninstaller.  If something gets messed up, you can use Mapsettoolkit to remove regestry entries.  Just start it, select the mapset cauisng the problem and select uninstall. 

CanyonHiker17

Thanks for clearing that up!  I think I neglected to say that I did use the uninstaller to remove the maps, and that it does the job of clearing the registry.  I was worried that someone might think you'd have to go in and manually remove registry entries!  I'm not brave enough to do that, so it's good that the uninstaller takes care of it for me.   :)

mrcyogi

Thanks for staying with me GPS/Map troopers. Maybe the new year will help; but, alas it didn't seem to. I uninstalled all the maps with their uninstallers where they were located in My Programs (86), checked with control panel to make sure they were purged. Then I deleted MapSource the MapSource folder where it was stored in My Programs (86) in the Garmin folder--didn't have an uninstaller file. Checked Control Panel...Then went to Garmin and downloaded MapSource and then downloaded the Florida Topo from GPSFile Depot as a test. The FL map doesn't show in MapSource; only my City Navigator.

That's for the new laptop running W-7. I performed the same uninstall and reinstall on all, on my desktop running W-Vista--no problem. All the maps show in MapSource. Any bright ideas???

And, happy new year.
Marshall

Boyd

Are you running 64 bit Win 7? Seems to me there might have been some installer issue with that, but can't put my finger on it. I have real Garmin and 3rd party maps on XP, Vista 64 and Win7 32 with no problems.

Seldom

I'm running Win7 64 with no installer issues to date.  I didn't see mrcyogi list the maps he's having trouble with.  Might the problem be that they are "pre-family"?  Hard to say...

jbensman

Download and run mapsettoolkit:

http://sites.google.com/site/cypherman1/

What is listed as installed?

Click on everything shown as installed besides CN and then click uninstall. 

Then try reinstalling FL Topo

When things get messed up, this will usually clear up the problem.

mrcyogi

Thanks for the comeback on New Year's day. in reply to the above: I've downloaded many topo maps from GPSFileDepot successfully on my desktop running W-Vista. I'm just using the Florida topo as a test here on my uncooperative laptop running W-7.

Installed MapSetToolKit. The only map showing is CN. MapSetToolKit on my desktop shows all the maps I've downloaded...

Regards,

jbensman

I do not understand your answer. 

When you run MapSettool kit, what shows in its window called mapsets installed? 

If anything besides CN shows in this window click on it and then click uninstall. 

Then install FL topo again.