GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

do you have to have a topo set from garmin

Started by Lynn Ross, December 29, 2010, 09:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynn Ross

I've had a garmin 60csx once before and had the 2008 topo usa 100k and the city navigator also, Had to sell this because of braking my back. Now I'm healthy I just brought another one this time I don't have the cash to (right now) buy these maps... If I use your maps that you have here are they the same as the ones that you buy?.... can you put routes and tracking on them? Are they 24k ones, and do they have the capability of city routing?
Thanks for any replies ahead of time
Lynn

maps4gps

We do not have free access to the sources Garmin uses to build their mapsets so there will be differeces; sometimes the free ones are 'better', sometimes the Garmin ones, depends on what you are looking for and how 'better' is defined. 

None of the mapsets hosted here are 'routing'.  The OpenStreetMap project offers routable maps.
Most of the mapsets here are considered 24k; however, what 24k has never been defined. 

Garmin offers BaseCamp as a free download and see the tutorial on how to obtain MapSource for free.  Follow directions in the proper order as given, else it will not work.

Download some of the free maps here and see what you think.  You can view an area of your choice for some of Garmin's mapsets on their website.  You can always use the free maps while you are saving to purchase Garmin's mapset(s). 

Lynn Ross

I already have done the download of mapsource and I don't know if I would need the basecamp download, why would I need this? I'm a gadget person so having it would be me, but do I need it with the 60csx or is the mapsource good enough?

I must not know what route able means in gps terms I just want to like put tracks on a map ahead of time so that when I get to the place I want to go that i already have an idea on where to go. Can this be done, like tracks ahead of time. I have had the City Nav before and could put in where I want to go and it would help me get there is that what routing means?

I have a word doc. of a map that I would like to make make go into my gps could anyone help me with it?

CanyonHiker17

I am kind of a newbie to all this GPS and electronic mapping.  I have both Mapsource and Basemap and for what it's worth, I find Basemap to be somewhat difficult to deal with.  Mapsource does everything I need it to do and just seems more "user friendly" to me.  Your mileage may vary!

maps4gps

There are routes (and tracks) you can make yourself and send to the GPSr.
There are routable maps which allow you to select two points and the GPSr will construct a 'route'/path between the two - this requires that the mapset be constructed in a special manner to allow for this.  Since CN can do this, I was not sure what you were looking for.

If you already have MapSource up and running you can stay with it.  Garmin seams to be giving more attention to BaseCamp; however it does have issues.  It is a more 'straight foreward' install if you do not have MS installed or available on CD or as part of 'Trip and Waypoint Manager'.

I have not heard of anyone taking a map in word .doc format and converting it to Garmin's format.
You would likely need to convert it to something an editing program could read, do some editing in a map editing program, than output it as a file that could be compiled to Garmin's .img format.

Lynn Ross

Quote from: maps4gps on December 29, 2010, 03:26:15 PM

I have not heard of anyone taking a map in word .doc format and converting it to Garmin's format.
You would likely need to convert it to something an editing program could read, do some editing in a map editing program, than output it as a file that could be compiled to Garmin's .img format.

I have photo shop and have converted it to a jpeg and don't know how to do it that way, if you have any idea on how to do it I would love to hear about it and also can you overlay a jpeg on top of the mapsource program.
I know I'm really hunting for a unknown but would love to have this on my mapsource program....
Lynn :)

maps4gps

GPSmapedit can read a .jp2 file.  You would then need to georeference it - assign known coordinates to some points on the image.  Trace the features to make areas/polygons, lines and/or points.  Assign map codes and export to .mp format.  Use cgpsmapper to compile to a Garmin format .img file.  Use MapSetToolKit to install on the computer so MapSource or BaseCamp can use the file.  Even after all that, MS/BC can only display one mapset at a time

Boyd mentioned a few days ago using Mapwell to do some 'auto' tracing, so it must be able to read some type of image file.  I have a version about 6 months old, but do not see anything about opening an image file.

Seldomsn is using photoshop for conversion of raster image data to vector.

Either of them should be able to advise you better than I can.

Lynn Ross

Thanks hero member :)  maps4gps
I guess that I'm barking up a tree that I can't climb yet, so I have tried to copy the route as best I can with my eye on both of the images the Jpeg and the mapsource image I got close but have the coordinates but can't figure out how to get mapsource to understand my entries .. I try to copy, paste but doesn't work for me....
Lynn

maps4gps

It appears neither gpsmapedit nor Mapwell can export a Garmin format .gpx file.  If either or some other program could, MapSource can simaltaneously display a mapset in .img format and a track/route in .gpx format.  I have not had the need to do so, so others could better advise you.
I would not think you could paste an image into MapSource as the image would not have any meaning without being georeferenced and there would be no reason for Garmin to have a program to do so.

Lynn Ross

Quote from: maps4gps on December 29, 2010, 05:00:48 PM
I would not think you could paste an image into MapSource as the image would not have any meaning without being georeferenced and there would be no reason for Garmin to have a program to do so.

I didn't copy and paste to mapsource, I made two different jpeg images and then in PS I went about changing the opacity of one of the images and then over laid them onto each other then converged them together. wala I have a copy of what I want for now.
Lynn

maps4gps

Good that you have what you want.

A further thought would have been to use GoogleEarth, georeference the image in it; trace the linework; then export in .gpx format - none of which I have ever tried.

A newer GPSr (CO, OR, DK, 62, 78) will allow you to display a georeferenced image in .kmz format on the GPSr along with the 'traditional' vector mapset(s).

Boyd

Sorry Lynn, I'm not quite following you. If you want to make maps for your 60csx, have a look at Mapwel: http://mapwel.eu/ You can download and use on your computer for free to see if it does what you want. If you like it, you need to purchase for $45 in order to send the map to your GPS.

You should be able to take your photoshop image and georeference it: http://mapwel.eu/calib/hw_calibrate.html

Once you have the image in the program, you can trace whatever features your need. The feature that maps4gps mentioned is the trace tool - see this: http://mapwel.eu/features.htm Or you can just draw lines and polygons yourself by clicking on points.

When you're finished, it can be saved as a transparent map if desired, so that it will display on top of another map on your GPS.

Would that do what you want?

maps4gps

I was thinking he wanted to display his image in MapSource and was not describing it as we would.  Now I understand that by 'overlay a jpeg on top of the mapsource program' he meant overlay the screen images; as he has done in photoshop and obtained what he needed.  Oh well he is happy.