GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

New England Topo map issues

Started by rreynolds, December 29, 2010, 06:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rreynolds

I live in NH and use my Garmin 60csx for hiking and back country skiing. I just downloaded and installed the New England topo map. In MapSource, how do I get the trails to show up as actual lines showing the route of the trail, rather than points with the trail name beside it? Also there are some features that are miss labeled in the White Mountain section. Any way to manually correct these?

Boyd

Not familiar with that map, but I can tell you that this site frowns on modifying the work of another author.

CanyonHiker17

I downloaded both of the NH topo maps from this site (options 1 and 2) and unfortunately, neither map has trails on it from the WMNF.  For me it's not a problem, as I am an ex-New Englander, now living in Arizona, but I know how you feel.  For 35 years, NH was my hiking turf! 

If you aren't currently a member, I'd suggest logging into Views From The Top (VFTT), which is one of the New England / New York hiking forums on the web.  A google search will bring them up.  There are a number of hikers there using the Garmin 60csx (I have the same unit) and surely someone has a link to a downloadable map that would be what you're looking for.

jbensman

It sounds like you are looking at trail heads on the topo map.  Also install My Trails.  It has all the trails in the White MT National Forest that the Forest Service had data on.  Load it with the New England TOpo and the trails will show as thin red lines on top of the topo map.  If you hike something that is not on My Trails, you can send me a track of the trail and I can add it to the map. 

maps4gps

Did you zoom in to about the 500' display level?  

It is likely there are not many trails in the mapset as little comprehensive trail data is available.  I would guess the points are trail heads and likely come from a different source.

Misslabeling would be an issue with the original source data.  It is usually very difficult (lack of funds) to get the source agencies to make the corrections.

One of the trails overlay mapsets may have more of what you are looking for - it somewhat depends on what individuals are willing to contribute.  

Also check out a 'preview' on Garmin's website of their 24K topo product for your area(s) of interest.

CanyonHiker17

Quote from: jbensman on December 29, 2010, 07:25:48 AM
It sounds like you are looking at trail heads on the topo map.  Also install My Trails.  It has all the trails in the White MT National Forest that the Forest Service had data on.  Load it with the New England TOpo and the trails will show as thin red lines on top of the topo map.  If you hike something that is not on My Trails, you can send me a track of the trail and I can add it to the map.  

OK, I have part of that accomplished.  I downloaded My Trails and when I open Mapsource, it's in the map menu.  So I can either view My Trails or I can view the New England Topo, but I don't understand how I'm able to view the My Trails map on top of the topo.  Am I missing something that's really obvious?  Or are you saying that you can only see the trails on the GPS itself, by selecting the New England topo AND the My Trails map together for the file transfer to the GPS?

maps4gps

Correct, both mapsets will display on the GPSr.  Unfortunately, MapSource and BaseCamp will only display one mapset at a time.  You select from one mapset, then from the next one, and finally send to the GPSr (as one gmapsupp.img file - which will replace any existing gmapsupp.img file on your 60csx.

CanyonHiker17

Great!  Thanks for your help.  Since moving to Arizona, I've only been using the Southwest 24K topo that I purchased from Garmin.  I like it because it has all the trails and necessary details for the Grand Canyon hiking that I'm doing.  I don't use the 60csx for city or road navigation.  Occasionally I get back to New England, and thought it would be handy to have trail info on the GPS as well.  I think what I'll do is load the New England maps to a separate disk and just swap them for the times that I travel back east.  I really appreciate this site and all the help...even though I've just been a lurker for the past 6 months.   ;D

maps4gps

Interesting comment about trails on Garmin's Southwest 24k.  Garmin started in the west and went eastward.  There were numerous comments that the NW & SW mapsets contained little to no trails despite the advertising that they did.  A year+ later when they finished on the east coast, there were a few comments that the eastern areas did contain trails.  Sounds like Garmin may have gone back and added trails to their initial western mapsets. 

CanyonHiker17

I'm very impressed with the Southwest 24K topo.  I don't have all of it loaded into the GPS since I only really need  the AZ and southern UT sections, but the trail details are pretty extensive.  For example, they don't show the Escalante Route in Grand Canyon from Tanner rapids to Hance rapids, but just about every other trail is on the map.  Escalante is more of an informal trail and not one that is really promoted by the National Park as an established route.  But it's popular enough that there are plenty of pre-established tracks for it.  My version of the Southwest 24K has a 2009 copyright date on it.