GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Pros and Cons of DVD vs Micro SD Software

Started by JasonK94Z, February 14, 2011, 06:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonK94Z

I am about to buy the South Central Topo 24K maps.  I like to plan routes, load routes from friends to follow, etc for dual sport motorcycle riding.  I am curious as to what the pros and cons are of buying the dvd version vs the Micro SD version.  Since the 24K Topo has auto routing, I won't be needing the City Nav software.  Also, the South Central area is all I will need for this too.  

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.  

Boyd

Look closely at the coverage maps on Garmin's site. You will find that the SD card version covers a smaller area than the DVD. In fact, the Sout Central region isn't even available on an SD card: http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/cache/offonce/us/maps/onthetrailmaps

Aside from that, the SD cards can be used in any device but they cannot be copied. The DVD version of a locked map can only be installed on a single device. Although it isn't completely clear from the info on Garmin's site, users report that the DVD version of the 24k maps is not locked.

The DVD version is installed on your computer and can be accessed as desired with either Mapsource or Basecamp. The SD card version cannot be installed on your computer, but can be accessed in a card reader connected to your computer with Basecamp. It cannot be accessed at all with Mapsource.

The SD card versions are easier to use, just plug it in and go. The DVD versions must be sent to your GPS. With an older model, like the 60csx or eTrex series, the SD card can be a limitation since you can't add more maps to the card and there is no internal memory to store other maps. With newer models like the Oregon or Dakota, this isn't as much of an issue.