GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

map on memory card

Started by [email protected], December 23, 2010, 09:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

[email protected]

My Rhino 530hcx won't stay on the map I have on the memory card.  Seems to go to the map on the unit.  If I take the battery off, put back on and restart it will find the map.  Am I doing something wrong?  Was on a ski trail yesterday and the map I wanted showed up just fine.  Even with out turning off the unit I checked it and my topo map was gone and didn't even show up if I went back into settings to find the map.
Also can you put more than one map on the same memory card?
Hopefully I am making my problem clear and thanks for any help in advance.
Elliot

maps4gps

You may need to hide/disable the map on the unit.   Also depends on scale.
Only one gmapsupp.img file will work on the unit; however you can 'build' that file from more than one mapset, just needs to be sent to the GPSr at one time.  If you do not combine them before sending to the GPSr, the new map will overwrite the one in the existing gmapsupp.img file.

More info would help to determine what might be happening.  What mapset?  Are you physically in the area of the mapset?  What scale are you trying to view the map at? 

[email protected]

I think I found out what I was doing wrong.  I wasn't locking down the micro sd card.  Hopefully it was as simple as that.  So far after turning on and off numerous times it shows the topo map on the card.
feeling a little foolish at the moment.  :-\
Thanks for your help
Elliot

Quote from: maps4gps on December 23, 2010, 01:47:35 PM
You may need to hide/disable the map on the unit.   Also depends on scale.
Only one gmapsupp.img file will work on the unit; however you can 'build' that file from more than one mapset, just needs to be sent to the GPSr at one time.  If you do not combine them before sending to the GPSr, the new map will overwrite the one in the existing gmapsupp.img file.

More info would help to determine what might be happening.  What mapset?  Are you physically in the area of the mapset?  What scale are you trying to view the map at? 

maps4gps

Yes, that will do it.

Happy holidays.

Lynn Ross

Good topic for me. I have downloaded many of the free files (southwest, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico) I uploaded the southwest it came out at all most a gig I already had about 17 mb on (I think).

So if I understand this topic's reply, if I upload another bunch of maps the ones that I already uploaded will be over written is that right?

So where does the rest of the almost 1.5 gig's go? I also don't understand and the difference between gdb and img? I kind of get it the garmin data base (gdb) and the image, but which one does the garmin unit want to use. Nor do I understand this 20101231.gpx these show up in my sd card.

Why can't I find the Arizona, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico in a drop down box of some sort on the gps unit, then the problem would be fixed? I can go to the way points and get a map but it's devote of the detail that was there when I made the way points.
Well, as always still confused
Lynn

Boyd

Not sure that I understand all your questions, but I'll answer one of them. The .gdb file is only used by Mapsource on your computer. It's a way to save the entire collection of data that you are working with in your current session, so that you can return to the same state later (waypoints/tracks/routes/maps that you are using). It doesn't save any actual map data, just a list of the map tiles that you have loaded.

On the GPS itself, you must send the actual map tiles. They are bundled into a single file named gmapsupp.img and transferred. .img files are a bit confusing, because the a "containers". They might just be a single map tile, like the raw data that is used by mapsource to display a single tile in a larger map. But gmapsupp.img can (and usually does) contain a whole collection of tiles - possibly from different maps. Mapsource isn't setup to read that type of file, it is only for use on the GPS itself. Mapsource reads the individual tiles.

Track/route/waypoint data is managed apart from the maps. It's not associated with any one map and can be displayed on whatever map you choose. With older units, this data is sent by Mapsource to a location in protected memory on the GPS. You cannot directly access that memory from your computer.

Newer models use .gpx files for this data, and you can actually drag and drop the files to the GPS in USB disk mode.

Lynn Ross

Understanding the fact that you can only use one map from the GPSfiles at a time and that if you build the map from different maps was a great help. Knowing that when you go to load a new one that it will over write the old one now makes sense to me now.

How if I make more way points in the gps they will be within the maps that I now have on my gps is that right? I'm starting to get a little of this, its fun to mess around with these sets that you all have provided, I hope to get to the point that I can help another find answers to there thoughts also some day.

Take care,
Happy New Year
Thanks
Lynn

Boyd

You're getting there Lynn, but still have a little ways to go.

You can use more than one map at a time on your gps. Some maps have been created specifically to be used in conjunction with others. The MyTrails map will add trails to any other map you're viewing for example.

You can only have one map FILE at a time on the older models like yours. But that FILE can contain many MAPS. As I explained, in computer jargon this is known as a "container", where a single file actually contains separate items inside.

And again: tracks, routes and waypoints are not part of the map data. They are part of your user data. They are completely independent of the maps. You could delete your old maps and replace them with new ones without affecting the waypoints that already exist on your GPS. Conversely, you could delete you tracks and waypoints without affecting the map. That's the whole idea: waypoints are YOUR data, and you may want to use them with different kinds of maps.

Lynn Ross

Ok! Boyd,
I'm now wondering where I could get your trails maps is it separate from all the other maps that I've downloaded and can I just download your trails for the areas that I want to go to, I'm mainly looking for Az, Ut, Colo, NM, NV, etc.
another question say I downloaded three states and now would like to download (say) Colo, can I d this without having to download all the others once more? I'm guess the answer is no but have to ask,
and thanks for your info on the maps and routes that's helpful to me.
Lynn

Boyd

Haha, I don't have a trails map. It is called "MyTrails" and the author is very active here in the forums, I'm sure he'll jump in with info.

You can install as many maps as you want on your computer, no problem. Once on the computer, they stay. You would group the different maps you want together in order to send to your GPS. No need to download the maps again on your computer.