GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Topic split: New GPS unit Forestry use

Started by Sonny, December 18, 2010, 03:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonny

I replaced my 76CSX with the 62s. Big mistake! I particurlarly do not like the fact that downloaded tracts do not appear in the main window. I am a Forestry Consultant and have always used my Garmins to locate property. I download the tracts using Terrain Navigator, and drive to the general area, and there it is. With the 62s, you have to pull up the tract from the track window and then the location indicator does not follow you on the map. you must scroll the map to keep the location indicator on the screen. I also miss not being able to scroll >:( through the screens while conected to a computer. With the 62s all you see is a indicator that you are conected. As far as I am concerned, the 62s is a step backward for Garmin.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Sonny on December 18, 2010, 03:24:29 PM
I also miss not being able to scroll >:( through the screens while conected to a computer. With the 62s all you see is a indicator that you are conected. As far as I am concerned, the 62s is a step backward for Garmin.
You have to put the unit into Spanner mode to do that. You might be better off making Garmin Custom Maps (vector) for those areas. It's a different tool, and might take different procedures.

Sonny

What is and how do you put the unit in spanner mode? When I connect mine to the computer the buttons are inoperable. It goes into  "mass storage device" mode.
As for maps, I have custom maps installed on my 62s. I have topographic quads from Terrain Navigator loaded after converting. But the result is the same. Downloaded named tracks (which are drawn in Terrain Navigator as a 40 acre tract, for example, and transferred to the gps) do not show up in the main map screen. They only show up in the track page. We as foresters, draw our tracts in Terrain Navigator using their mapping tools, paying attention to the length of lines and the compass headings, 0, 90, 180, 270. Then we convert them to tracks and download them to a gps. We then go to the area of the properties and when we are in the vicinity, it shows up in the main map screen. Not so on the 62s. I have spoken to Garmin's engineers  about this and their feeling is that we as foresters are too small a group to change the way the instrument works. My question to them is why did all of the previous versions do it? I have had an etrex vista, a 76, a 76c, and 2 76csx's and they all worked in this manner. Somehow someone decided to change the 62s. If I had known this, I would not have purchased.

maps4gps

On my OR300 with GPSr NOT connected to computer: setup / system / interface  -  change to 'garmin spanne'r

Sonny

There is no spanner shown. Only none, garmin serial, NMEA in/out, text out, RTCM. No matter what is selected, it goes to mass storage device mode as soon as it is connected to the computer.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Sonny on December 18, 2010, 07:33:24 PM
There is no spanner shown. Only none, garmin serial, NMEA in/out, text out, RTCM. No matter what is selected, it goes to mass storage device mode as soon as it is connected to the computer.
As per Garmin,  as of ver 2.40, there is spanner mode on that unit:
http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4995

What GPS SW version do you have installed and what profile do you have it set to?

Sonny

actually using my 78s at this time. One of my employees has my 62s. they both have 2.80 software.
I updated both of them myself. But, I did not notice that the spanner mode was added to the 62s, I use the 78s most of the time because it was similar to my 76csx and floats. The 78s does not have the spanner mode. It was only added to the 62s. I thought they were basically the same unit with just different buttons arrangements.

Indrid Cold

The 78 series has a serial port on it so it doesn't need the spanner mode.

Boyd

What is it that you're trying to do? Do you just want to power the GPS from the USB port on your computer? If so, then it may just be a matter of using the correct kind of cable. There are power cables and there are data cables. On other Garmin units, using a power cable will prevent the GPS from going into mass storage mode.

Sonny

I am transferring data from third party software, using the usb to mini usb cable. Like Terrain Navigator, for example. I did try the serial port to connect to my computer and this does work to show a location on my third party software. I have not, however, been able to transfer track information to the gps using this cable. I have tried several different combinations with no luck. This is not as big an issue as the saved third party tracks not showing up in the main map window without having to go to a sepatate track page to call it up. I'm probably going to go back to the 76csx as the unit of choice for my particular work, Forestry Consulting. I foolishly gave away my old 76's before I had time to completely evaluate the 78 and the 62. For more accurate work, I use a Magellan Mobilemapper 6, running windows mobile 6. You can use regular USGS topographic quads on it, using Memory-Map, I have about 50 quads on it,  and numerous third party software programs. It's all in what you get used to using. I have had all of the 76 series units, and like the way they function. I do like the fact that the 78 and 62 are very fast. They are a little slow with the converted USGS topos and you can not put but a few on the unit.

jbensman

You are not being real clear on what the problem is but I think I understand what you are saying about the tracks.  I have an OR 550T but I suspect track manager works the same.  Open track manager.  Select the track you want.  Then select show on map.  Then go back to your map screen and the track shows on your map. 

You can also load regular USGS maps on your GPS as Custom Maps.  But don't forget about all the topo maps on this site.