GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Oregon State Group Project

Started by krellor, January 29, 2009, 08:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krellor

Sorry for being slow, have been busy.  I have downloaded the above data and also sent you the FTP connection info in case you need it in the future.

dhisum_dhisum

Today put in the request for the nhd data. Should probably arrive by monday and after processing, it should probably be uploaded by next weekend.

Tsnake

Quote from: John_M on January 31, 2009, 01:40:51 AM

3. Hydrography (NHD) from ftp://nhdftp.usgs.gov/SubRegions/High/ as of 12/08/08

I see you gave the above link for getting NHD data.  I have been waiting for one little sub-basin for several weeks.  I have re-requested it several times.  I got tired of waiting, so I followed the above link to try to get it.  When I downloaded the zip file, it gave me an access database.  How did you use that to get the shapefiles you needed?

krellor

Ok, I didn't update the data assignment in the post.  I have all the data, and have am about 1/3rd of the way to maphood.  I'm probably about 2-3 days away from creating all of the img files, and about 4-5 days away from having the installable exe.  When I'm done I'll make sure that all of the combined data gets posted somewhere public on my server so anyone who wants it can download it and tweak their own, as well as upload the installable exe.

John_M

Tsnake,
The "access database" is ESRI's  geodatabase format. I have access to the ESRI ArcGIS software to convert the data to shape files.  Tell me what you need and some place to upload it and I can probably get it to you.  Or if some one has 15 GB of file space I can post the all the files.

Tsnake

John_M

I am looking specifically at NHDN1024.  I do not know where to upload it unless OZ will let us load it here. 

I did notice that Global Mapper will open the flowline database.  I can then export a shapefile from that.  When I tried to open the area and waterbody, Global Mapper told me no data was available.

maps4gps

Quote from: Tsnake on February 07, 2009, 06:32:24 AM
John_M

I did notice that Global Mapper will open the flowline database.  I can then export a shapefile from that.  When I tried to open the area and waterbody, Global Mapper told me no data was available.

I noticed this when I tried GM10 in December.  Thanks to the NHD people (GM keep saying it was an NHD problem) checking out there end and sending screen shots to me and GM;  GM fixed the problem:

Mark/Terry,
I dug into this and found that the missing features in the files were using a shape type code that I have never seen before and seemed to be a duplicate of codes that were supported in the library that we use for loading the MDB files from ESRI.

Luckily I was able to determine what they were pretty easily and get support added. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v10.xx installation folder to give it a try. This fix will also be included in the next Global Mapper release.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks
Mike
Global Mapper Support
[email protected]

I tested it and it is OK now.  Interesting that the 10 Beta version had been available for about 6 months and this was not found.

Try it with the latest version of GM.

Tsnake

mps4gps,

That did the trick.  Thanks for the help.

OZ,
This might be worth a rewrite on the Water section of the tutorial.  It is a lot more convenient than waiting for NHD to send a query.  I simply opened the NHDArea, NHDFlowline, and NHDWaterbody MDB seperately.  I then export each shapefile from GM10.  NHDArea and NHDWaterbody as Areas and NHDFlowline as lines.

Tsnake

-Oz-

I'm having problems right now with ftp (being blocked on my computer).  But once I have that I'll investigate this.  Last time I tried I could figure out how to get just the areas I needed.  Is there a list of subbasin ids to match it to?
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

dhisum_dhisum

Any updates on this krellor? Is there something I can help with wrt computing?

-Oz-

Hey, krellor; I"m working with florida but don't know how to add in the ocean.  I have a coastline line file; but am not sure how to turn it into land.  With hawaii I had an area shape for the islands which was easy; just draw an ocean and cut it out.  I really need to include it because I have depth data for florida.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

roachy

Some high resolution data is here: http://www.blm.gov/or/gis/data.php
especally transportation and federal lands

kirkaptain

krellor,

I just want to thank you in advance for taking the initiative to do this. I live in Portland, and created a local biking map from USGS data, but it would be awesome to have the whole state! Had I known about this site and this project earlier, I would have offered to help.

kirkaptain

uncle_git

I'm interested in the Oregon maps - and I've a bit of computing power I can throw into the pool as well.

Anything I can do to help ?

maps4gps

What is the current status of this project?