GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Oregon State Group Project

Started by krellor, January 29, 2009, 08:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krellor

So it was suggested in another thread to split up the work to create a map for the state of Oregon.  I figured I'd get this posted up in its own thread and see who is interested.  I know that there was at least one volunteer to help, but anyone who is interested is welcome to help.  I figure the best way to divide the work is to break it up into the different data types that are needed.  I'll start by volunteering to process all of the contour information.

Borders: Oz - Done
Contours:  Done
Federal Land: Oz - Done
GNIS/POI: Done
NHD: Done
Transportation: Oz - Done
Trails: Oz - Done

If anyone is interested in helping by processing any of this individual types of data for Oregon post here and I'll add your name next to that type and send you a message with a username and password for a FTP directory where you can upload the processed data.  As far as what tools to use, I *think* most of us are suing Global Mapper, but I don't know for certain.  If there are lots of others using different software let me know.

If this collaboration goes well maybe we can keep it up on other states.

Edit:  Apparently Oz is also working on Oregon, so Still feel free to volunteer, but maybe wait to start anything big until we hear from him what he has and hasn't done so we don't duplicate effort.

Update:  I am 1.3rd of the way to having the map done.  In about 5 days I expect to be done.  :)  Will keep you posted.

-Oz-

Trans - done
I'll handle Trails (think they're on my external) and the forest service points
Borders - Oz

So, the question comes down to:
- Who will be compiling all the files together and converting to .img?

That is the part that takes the longest IMHO.  I can also create an ftp user that can access a folder of this server (i think) so we can share files.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

krellor

Well, unless someone else really wants to combine all of the data I can do that.  I have more than one machine so losing one for a while to processing isn't really a hardship.  As far as sharing files, I have already given dhisum_dhisum connection info for my FTP server.  If you want I can give you the same connection info and you can upload the stuff your going to do/done or you can give me/whoever will do the processing a way to download your data.  Either way works for me.

John_M

I have Borders, Contours, Federal Land, GNIS, NHD, and Transportation data processed for the lower 48 states. The data is compiled and cut on a 1/2 degree grid. My computer has been making the .img files for 3 weeks there are 1,256 done out of 3,524. Starting in the south and going east to west. I have not made a installer but I am up loading the Southeaster USA. The processed date is store in a 200GB PostgreSQL\PostGIS database. How can I help?

krellor

Well, if you have the NHD and contour interval data that would be a great help.  I was planning on going with a 40 foot interval for the contours.  If you have either the raw or processed data for lat and long that covers Oregon I could give you a FTP login to upload it to.

John_M

The contours where processed with a 20 foot interval, When I export the data I will only take the 40 foot intervals. Do yoy want one big shape file. I can try but that may be to big. So then it woould be shapefiles one degree square. The Land Contour (medium) is at the 100 foot interval and Land Contour (thick) is at the 400 foot interval. Is this OK? Will PM you may email. NHD data will be shapefiles one degree square.

-Oz-

John, so are you telling me you'll have a topo of the entire US in pretty much 24k quality?
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

dhisum_dhisum

Whoa, sorry guys, I got really busy at work, so I was not able to look here. Looks like stuff has been cooking while I was away. As I said, while people are collaborating, I could get nhd data for oregon and process it. And John says he has the entire lower 48... All I can say is Wow. That must have taken a hell lot of determination and processing. Let us know when/where the data is available.  With so much data available, I don't even care about the installer. I would have a ear to ear grin just getting the img files.

John_M

Oz, I have raw and processed data lower 48 states. The making the .img files will run for
at least 6 more weeks. A note on processing time the data with out the contours ran in 4 days. The data with contours 2.5 to 3 mounths.

As far as quality please check and let me know. Southeast USA has been up loaded

Oz the what can be done with the data I got from your very good Tutorials. The work processing I use is run by bat files and SQL with some perl, and GDAL.

The data used in the maps

1. Elevation contours - 20ft intervals made from NED30

2. Streets from the 2008 Census Tiger data

3. Hydrography (NHD) from ftp://nhdftp.usgs.gov/SubRegions/High/ as of 12/08/08

4. Federal lands from http://nationalatlas.gov/maplayers.html

5. Indian  lands from http://nationalatlas.gov/maplayers.html

6. POI's from NationalFile_20081228.zip

-Oz-

Ah, okay.

I am extracting SE US now; I'll probably play with it this evening.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

dhisum_dhisum

Very very cool. I downloaded and tried out a few img files. Very very cool. Truly 20ft contours. Kudos to you John M. This is a spectacular feat. I will hold my breath for you and wait for the next 6 weeks to elapse pretty fast so I can have the entire lower 48.

-Oz-

John: I can't get mapsettoolkit to create the files so I can load it into Mapsource; have you tried this yet?

With that said: in 30 minutes you can download the transportation data: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/oregon-transportation.zip its compressed to 174mb.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

krellor

Ok, I'm going to start downloading the data and grabbing what is left.  Thanks to everyone who has thrown in their data.  As soon as I get it together I'll let everyone know.

-Oz-

I can do federal land if no one else wants to; i'll cut it to the state border as well.

I have uploaded borders, forest service trails, and forest service misc points: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/oregon-data-2.zip (6mb)
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

No message yet so the federal lands have been cut and uploaded: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/oregon-fed-lands.zip
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!