GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Help-please-Garmin 60Cx

Started by serow, February 20, 2011, 03:58:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

serow

I have just purchased- second hand a 60Cx with basemap of UK?.  I want to use the unit for both
1.Plotting my route on my return & placing it over a map
2.Plotting prior to departure & installing waypoints? to follow.

I do not think the unit has any software (trip & waypoint manager)-will i require this?
I will be on a motorbike and the routes will be tracks, viewable on 1:25,0000 scale, but not 1:50

I was hoping you might be able to answer what I am sure will turn out to be simple questions from a newbie to 60Cx

I do have a zumo660, but just use it for roads

Thanks in advance

Boyd

You could do pretty much the same things with your 60csx as your Zumo - if that's what you want. You would just need to purchase the correct maps. Are you in the UK yourself? Garmin has many mapping choices, including routable City Navigator maps and routable OS maps. In the US there is also City Navigator and routable 24k topo maps.

You can also use free maps, like the ones from this site, but in most cases they are not capable of routing. Garmin Basecamp can do all that trip and waypoint manager does, and it's free. Download and install it first. If you don't like it, you can then download and install Mapsource. It's important to do it in this order however (Basecamp first, then mapsource): http://www8.garmin.com/support/mappingsw.jsp

Either program will allow you to exchange routes, tracks and waypoints with your 60cx. The software is only provided with a crude basemap however. You will need to install more detailed maps (as mentioned above) to make it really useful.

serow

thank you very much for your help!- I have downloaded both in the order you suggest.
I intend using the 60 for offroading- the zumo will remain on my other bike( 2 hr battery v 18hr battery)

The routes I intend to take are off road.  I am hoping not tohave to download & pay for maps from Garmin- do you think I will will need to buy extra maps or can I get away with the downloads kindly given?

Thanks in advance

Boyd

If you want routes that follow the roads, you will probably have to purchase real Garmin maps. You can always create routes on any map that just go in straight lines between points though, if that's what you need.

But if the routes you want were created using City Navigator maps, I think you will need to either purchase City Navigator or the Garmin 24k topo product for your area.

serow

The routes I intend to take are legitimate "green lanes"- paths recognised on maps as being suitable for some vehicles.  They are legal and can be found- but often do not feature prominantly on 1:25k maps- instead they look like bridleways or footpaths.

I really do not want to spend what I believe is the cost of these maps (£100!!!$180.00!!!!) for one area of 1:25k- infact, I weep into my hankey  at the thought of it!- piracy on the green lanes of North Yorkshire I tell thei!  :o
Surely there has to be another way...help!

p.s Unit comes shortly-!
p.p.s the routes are not straight lines, but with markers or "waypoints", surely , I could follow a snake like track?

Boyd

Tracks are "bread crumb trails" that show where you went. You can show these on any kind of map. Routes are collections of via points that allow the gps to give you guidance (tell you when to turn).

I'm not selling anything! If you don't want maps, don't buy them. I still can't really understand what you're trying to do, but you can always try it without the Garmin maps and see what happens. I've heard that people in the UK like the talkytoaster 3rd party maps. Maybe they will do what you want? http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm

Indrid Cold

serow

OK!- Thank you everyone for your help so far-( Boyd ,I know know you were not trying to sell me anything ;), thank you very much for your help!)

Indrid Cold - the site looks great- I will attempt to download the maps & see what happens!

The cxs60 arrived this morning- it has Topo BG v2 (Mapsource) as software with it, with the serial certificate on it...would you say Mapsource will be of help or should I go straight for the link Indris kindly gave me.

serow

What a learning currrve!
Thanks everyone for the help to date.

Right- update...I have TOPO ( a map set from Garmin covering UK in some detail :P)- I telephoned Garmin ( who were excellent) & have uploaded this onto my PC & 60csx using a 2 gig chip.

2 quick questions please

a.  Can you plot a route using Google earth & transfer it to the Garmin?- I see you can import into GoogleEarth, but can you export? ( and if so..how?)

b. whats the difference between a waypoint & a track- what should I be designing OFF ROAD tracks using?...waypoints or tracks?

Thanks in advance..what a great peice of kit!