GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

A few questions...

Started by paradoxer, December 12, 2010, 06:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paradoxer

I just discovered the site and have learned so much already....thanks for making it available!

I just ordered a GPS and though I had a Garmin legend years ago, I'm still quite clueless.  There are a few things that aren't clear (or maybe they are and I just don't understand)...particularly for those who use a Mac computer exclusively.  Incompatibility with Mac is why I gave up on Garmin years ago...but it looks like all the issues are worked out....?

1.  I know that MapInstaller from Garmin is used to load maps.  Once I installed it, files I downloaded from this site no longer looked like folders full of numbers and such, and are now seen as .gmapi files.  I'm assuming this is good and they are good to go for MapInstaller?

2.  I downloaded a map from a government website that is an .img file.  I see the instructions for converting the file using MapSetToolkit but it's only available for Windows.  Is there a way I can get this .img file converted for MapInstaller? (on a Mac)  I really hope so, the map I downloaded will prove to be a valuable resource on an upcoming trip...

Sorry if these questions are always being asked.  I tried to search past threads and still couldn't find an answer...

Thanks for any help!

jason

Boyd

1. You should not need to access any of those files directly. MapInstall will use them to build the mapset for your GPS.

2. Really depends on what the .img file is. What is the file named? Is there just one file? If so, name the file gmapsupp.img and drop it into the Garmin folder on the GPS. You may then be able to activate and view the map using the Setup > Map menu.

Now this would only allow use of the map on the GPS, and not on your computer. I am not aware of anything on the Mac that will do the same thing as MapSetToolkit on the PC. When most of us make maps, we do it on Windows, then convert the finished mapset for use on the Mac.

What GPS did you buy? There are some significant differences in how map files work between the older and newer models.

paradoxer

I purchased a Garmin 60CSX.  I just ordered it this weekend from Amazon and it will be here Tuesday.

The img file is named gmapsupp.img already.  That's odd that you would know the file name....or is it not?  Will I be able to have several maps activated at the same time on the 60CSX?

Once I get the GPS I'll try it and see if it works.  I only need access on the GPS because I have the same map in a pdf.  I do have a Dell in my office at work but only use it twice a year when I have to report grades at the end of a semester....I suppose I could use it for applications that aren't possible on a Mac.

Thanks...very helpful!

Indrid Cold

.gmapi files do not work with MapInstall, they are GarminMAPInstaller files that get installed on your Nacintosh with MapManager. MapManager will install the .gmap files that get used by MapInstall to install on your GPS, with BaseCamp and with RoadTrip.

The only way to view a gmapsupp.img file on you Mac is to first copy it to your GPS's datacard and then BaseCamp might be able to display it, but even if it does, it will be slow going with a GPSMAP 60 series due to the slow USB interface.

I use Macs exclusively unlike others here. To combined a gmapsupp.img with another map downloaded from this site, you would want to have one if the newer Garmin units such as an Oregon, Colorado, Dakota, GPSMAP62 or 78 series.

Boyd

Haha, I must be clairvoyant to have know the name of that file.  ;)

Seriously, gmapsupp.img is the ONLY file name that older Garmin models (like the 60csx) will recognize. You should be good to go. Just be certain to format your card as MSDOS FAT 32 (if needed), then create a Garmin folder and drop the file inside.

Indrid, I don't think Basecamp will access this kind of file, unless it's an official Garmin map. The developers recently commented in Garmin's forums that this behavior is intentional and is their way of avoiding any licensing issues.

If you do have a Garmin map file, such as a pre-loaded data card with their 24k Topo, you can use it in any USB card reader on your computer. No need to use it in the GPS itself. In fact, if you have a pre-loaded City Navigator map file on a Nuvi, you can copy it (gmapprom.img) to a USB thumbdrive and also copy the GarminDevice.xml file to the drive. Now Basecamp will treat that USB thumb drive just like the GPS and allow you access to the map. This is a good trick for people with older USB 1.0 interfaces, or if you don't want to connect the GPS everytime you need the map on the computer.

FWIW, I am a Mac user from the very beginning, starting with a "Fat Mac" (with whopping 512K of memory) back in 1985. I never used Windows at all until I got serious about mapmaking. The tools just aren't there on the Mac, and I don't see that changing anytime soon unfortunately. At least Garmin is making a nice effort to get up to speed on MacOSX, so it's not much of an issue for normal users these days.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Boyd on December 13, 2010, 07:29:25 AM
Indrid, I don't think Basecamp will access this kind of file, unless it's an official Garmin map. The developers recently commented in Garmin's forums that this behavior is intentional and is their way of avoiding any licensing issues.

FWIW, I am a Mac user from the very beginning, starting with a "Fat Mac" (with whopping 512K of memory) back in 1985. I never used Windows at all until I got serious about mapmaking. The tools just aren't there on the Mac, and I don't see that changing anytime soon unfortunately. At least Garmin is making a nice effort to get up to speed on MacOSX, so it's not much of an issue for normal users these days.
My lying eyes are seeing completely the reverse, the preprogrammed Garmin Card not showing up with BaseCamp, and one I built displaying. If fact not only does it display from the microSD card (the map is not installed on this computer) but as a transparent map, displaying over the BaseCamp basemap.

Here are a couple of Windows screenshots:

BTW, my first Apple was an Apple ][+ (1979-still got it), my most current one is a dual Xeon (Quad) Mac Pro and my buddies at Microsoft sent me a cool app (Windows 7 Ultimate) that lets me run all the Windows software on my Macintosh quite nicely:)

And of course as an ESRI licensee, I even have ArcGIS on my iPod Touch, but that a whole different story...

Mandatory FTC web blog disclaimer: Windows 7 Ultimate provided free of charge by Microsoft

Boyd

Haha, I didn't want to go that far back, but I had an original Apple ][. Most of this old receipt has faded out, except the serial number (4546) and the price (and $1,225 was real money back then  ;D).

Part of the documentation was actually mimeographed! It was stored in my shed when I lived in upstate NY and the critters were making their homes in the box... before the roof caved in during a heavy snow. So it's nothing but a memory now.

Anyway, back on topic. I have been using the Windows version of Basecamp, so I guess it works differently. I have no problem accessing my SD card version US Topo 24k Northeast in a USB card reader. My other comment was based on this quote from one of Garmin's developers, posted in their own Mac forum.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=14275

Quote from: azdrmnTo keep our licensees happy, BaseCamp will only read the .img files from a pre-programmed card or GPS. To speed up map rendering you can try I would suggest putting the pre-programmed card into a USB 2.0 card reader.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Boyd on December 13, 2010, 04:58:50 PM
Anyway, back on topic. I have been using the Windows version of Basecamp, so I guess it works differently. I have no problem accessing my SD card version US Topo 24k Northeast in a USB card reader. My other comment was based on this quote from one of Garmin's developers, posted in their own Mac forum.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=14275

Quote from: azdrmnTo keep our licensees happy, BaseCamp will only read the .img files from a pre-programmed card or GPS. To speed up map rendering you can try I would suggest putting the pre-programmed card into a USB 2.0 card reader.

I believe they wrote that, I even think I read that on there forum, that's why I posted Windows screen shots. The OS X version of BaseCamp does work quite different than the Windows version. I'm pretty sure the boys in Tempe may want it that way, but it doesn't seem to be the case (bugs maybe???)

BTW: That's an old Apple:) didn't that one use a tape (cassette drive)?

paradoxer

I have downloaded several apps from the Garmin website.  Which app is the primary one for communicating with the GPS?  I have the gmapsupp.img file, but I'm not sure how to get it onto my 60csx....

Boyd, you said, "Really depends on what the .img file is. What is the file named? Is there just one file? If so, name the file gmapsupp.img and drop it into the Garmin folder on the GPS."  In what program do I create this Garmin folder?

Sorry for such silly question...

Indrid Cold

Quote from: paradoxer on December 14, 2010, 08:20:01 PM
I have downloaded several apps from the Garmin website.  Which app is the primary one for communicating with the GPS?  I have the gmapsupp.img file, but I'm not sure how to get it onto my 60csx....

Sorry for such silly question...
You don't need any .app for that one, just copy it to a folder named Garmin on your microSD card.

paradoxer

Nevermind, found it.  :)

Indrid Cold

Quote from: paradoxer on December 14, 2010, 09:21:00 PM
Oh, I see.  How can I view the contents of the sd card (on my computer) while it's in the GPS?  I don't have another reader, but I suppose I can buy one tomorrow....

No need to purchase anything, with the card in the GPS and the GPS pluged into the computer via a USB cabe, put the unit into USB  mass storage mode and the card will mount on the Mac desktop. A card reader will be faster, but only with large files as it takes time to remove, replace etc. the card.

paradoxer

I'm assuming the file that is already in there is my base map....I saved a copy of it for later when I'm done with the .img file I'll be using for a trip.  If I were to completely overwrite the file I'm assuming there would be no way to get the base map back?

Thanks, Indrid....I'm trying to get ready for a trip tomorrow, hence the flurry of questions...

Indrid Cold

Quote from: paradoxer on December 14, 2010, 09:39:08 PM
I'm assuming the file that is already in there is my base map....I saved a copy of it for later when I'm done with the .img file I'll be using for a trip.  If I were to completely overwrite the file I'm assuming there would be no way to get the base map back?

Thanks, Indrid....I'm trying to get ready for a trip tomorrow, hence the flurry of questions...
The basemap is burnt into the GPS's ROM memory, you can't delete it. If there is somr=ething on the datacard already, back up ther data card to your Mac so you can restore it.

paradoxer

I got the gmapsupp.img file installed onto my 60csx, and everything looks good.  BUT, when I use mapinstaller to load topo maps from this site, I can no longer view the features from the .img file I loaded previously.  I have to take the topo maps back off, then reinstall the img file to my Garmin folder.  Am I doing something wrong?

I think it may be best to convert the .img file to a gmapi file so I can load it like my other maps.  I got on the Dell in my office and loaded all the Windows programs.  Then I followed some instructions I found online that had me doing things in a DOS prompt window, and that was a miserable failure, and a waste of about 2 hours.   Is there a tutorial you would recommend for converting a .img file to a .gmapi?  All I have is a img file, and it's for hunting locations in Kansas.

Here is where I'm getting the img file: http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/KDWP-Info/Locations/Hunting-Fishing-Maps-by-County/2010-Fall-Hunting-Atlas/GPS-Information-Files