News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Creating custom maps for Garmin 276C

Started by bonwitco, December 11, 2010, 02:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonwitco

Hi
I have a 276C and use it mainly for fishing. I live in ireland and want to create custom maps of some of the loughs so I can add depths & fishing hotspots etc. But being a total novice to GPS I would very much appreciate if someone could send me details of how I create and load custom maps and what software I need to do this?

I have some custom maps I downloaded already installed on the SD card. If I load additional custom maps, are they "added" to those already on the card or does loading anything to the card overwrite whatever is already on there?

I have been playing around with GPSMapEdit, Mapwel, cGpsMapper, OziExplore and mapsource trip and waypoint manager but cannot get the files into the .mp format or .img format to load into my 276C. All I want to do is load a map of a lough to use for marking fishing spots, drop-offs and depths. Can anyone help me do this?

Thanks in advance of anyone's much needed help
??? :'( :'(

Boyd

You posted the same question in Garmin's custom map forum, and I answered it.

I believe your unit is only compatible with .img files which are vector-based maps and not images like aerial photos or scanned paper maps. Mapwel is probably the easiest program on your list for creating these. It is still a lot of work however.

bonwitco

Yes you are correct. I am trying the Garmin forum for help also. A bit of desperation creeping in? Is it now a case of just playing around with software packages myself or can anyone explain the steps in getting from a scanned map to 276C compatible maps? I have some .mg files but mapsource will not view them. The free download of charts found here:- http://www.corribcharts.com/download_corribcharts.html have a .exe file. When you run this it installs onto your HDD and creates a number of .img files and a .TDB file?

Should I just give up on this idea?

Boyd

OK, now I see. Those maps should work on your unit according to the site. Just don't use the term "custom maps" because (as Garmin defines them), they are not. They are regular Garmin maps. Calling them "custom maps" is just going to confuse everyone.

I didn't want to fill out the form and download the maps, but I'm sure they should work for you. I think you need to contact the company and get them to help you. It looks like the method for installing them will be pretty much the same as the tutorial here: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/