GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

New GPS unit

Started by Nikon, December 11, 2010, 10:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikon

Hi, I'm new here looking to upgrade my old GPS unit.

My current unit is a Garmin GPS38 which i brought back in 1987 and has given me good service, but I do find it rather slow at getting a fix. This unit is always used in conjunction with a real OS map and is great for finding your location where the weather closes in up on the mountains. I also use it for marking obscure locations on open mountain.

So with this in mind I was looking for a new model, I like the Garmin and it is nice to see that the newer models still retain the use of AA battery's. Internal mapping is not that important to me but agree that it could be handy (If wind blows away my map over mountain edge). I'm more interested in being able to locate exactly where I am under poor weather conditions, and still get a signal in forest, plus be able to mark a particular site once I have found it.

I have been looking at the Garmin GMAP 60CSx Handheld which I know is a older model, but also been looking at the Garmin GPSMAP 62s. Do you think that the 62s with the newer chipset is worth having. Or I'm open to any other suggestions.

Indrid Cold

I would pass on the GPSMAP60CSx and ho with the newerGPSMAP 62s because of all the newer features those units have.

Nikon

Reading a few reviews of the newer 62s, there appears to be a few issues with battery indicator and barometer when pressing buttons, has anyone else found a issue with these items.

Boyd

Since you mention OS maps, I assume you're in the UK? Not sure what pricing is like over there, but the 62 series seems way overpriced here in the US. I see it now at Amazon for $390, yet the Oregon 450 is only $270. We have also seen holiday sales for the Oregon 450 as low as $230, but I've yet to see any discounting on the 62s.

The internal electronics are the same in both devices. The Oregon is a pretty mature product now while the 62 is still getting the bugs shaken out. The Oregon has a much higher resolution screen with 2.5x the number of pixels. I don't see any justification for the premium price of the 62. On another forum somebody called it a "fashion statement" for people who liked the look of the 60csx but want some of the newer features.  ;D

Garmin sells a version of the OS maps that will work on either unit, but they are expensive.

Nikon

Yes I am in the UK. 62s is £269 and 60csx is £221 both on Amazon so not a great deal in it between the two price wise. I still reading reviews on the 62s, but I'm still interested in the 60csx.

Boyd

I have both a 60csx and an Oregon 400t. IMO, there is no comparison. Initially the Oregon had issues, but they have been corrected in firmware. Careful with 60csx reviews; one reason people liked it was the SiRFStar III chipset. Mine has this, but Garmin stopped using it and switched to the MTK chips like the eTrex series uses. So any review claiming that the 60csx is superior due to the SiRF chips is not likely to be accurate, unless you're getting a used model. The only way to tell which chips the 60csx has is to look at the firmware version, there is no difference in model number and no indication on the package.

I did some side by side tests recently that convinced me the Oregon now outperforms the 60csx - see: http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=19442

Nikon

Very interesting comparison you did there.

Nikon

When I do purchase a new GPS, it will be interesting to compare it against my 24 year Garmin 38.

LucaPCP

The Oregon 450 series is lighter, and has a higher-resolution screen than the 62 series.
On the other hand, I did extensive comparisons in a shop (they let me borrow both for half an hour), and for my style of use, I found the 62 series to be much better.

On the 62 series, changing page (from map to trip stats to altitude profile) is a matter of a quick button push that can be done also with gloves.  On the Oregon, you need several precise pokes on the screen; much slower.  On the 62 series, marking where you are is a simple button-press; again, this is much slower on the Oregon.  The 62 also has a somewhat more readable screen.

When I hike / ski, I don't wish to spend too much time navigating GPS menus.  I wanted a device that was as fast as possible to use, for marking locations, storing trails, and getting a fix.  I wanted to be able to pull it out, press a couple of buttons to mark the location, put it back in, and carry on skiing/hiking.  I had the impression that I would find it slow to use a 450 in the field. The map in the 62 series is sufficient for my purposes (and if I need a good map, I use a paper map, or I can always wake up my Android phone, which has WAY more pixels and better screen than either, albeit shorter battery life).  I also plan to carry the GPS in an outside backpack pocket, and the fact that the antenna of the 62s is optimized for vertical orientation is a plus, as that will be the orientation in which the GPS will travel.

The use of the original poster seems similar to  mine, so if the price difference is not an issue, the 62 series may be more suitable.

Seldom

I own an OR 300 (similar to 450) and a 60CSX (similar to 62S) and I agree w/ LucaPCP.  When entering waypoint data on the OR my fingertips are too large to reliably choose letters.  Although text entry requires more button pushes on the 60CSX, at least it's reliable.

Nikon

Thanks LucaPCP, I never thought about the GPS aerial being directorial. As like you the unit will probably sit upright in one of the side pockets of my rucksack.

LucaPCP

I am fairly sure the Oregon 450 would also be plenty accurate -- it was mainly the faster operation of the 62st that made me decide for that.

My previous GPS, though, was a Vista ETrek, and I was only partially happy.  When I was out in the open, on the bare side of a high mountain, with expansive views and a blue sky on top, the GPS was perfect -- but I also already knew where I was!  When I was in a valley in the woods, under a dark sky and a snowstorm, the ETrek, riding in the top pocket of my backpack, was often losing satellite lock.  Good thing I never relied on it for getting back!  My impression of that generation of GPSs is that they were able to tell me where I was only when I already knew from the map (even though with less precision).  I hope the 62st is better!'

Nikon

Well I now have a Garmin 62s (Well almost - just got to wait a few days until my Birthday to open the box  ;D).