News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Oregon 450-back up files & Multiple maps

Started by mrcyogi, December 13, 2010, 10:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrcyogi

Hello, gurus.

Could someone educate me as to how I back up the files on this unit (maps and whateverelse that came with the unit)? And, is there any way to get more than one map (e.g. a topo or City Nav) into the unit. It seems inefficient to have to get to your computer every time you want to use a "map".

Thanks in advance.
Marshall

maps4gps

Send the mapset to the GPSr - it will be named gmapsupp.img.  Rename it to somename.img.
Do the same for additional mapsets.
The xxx.img files can be moved/copied between the OR450 and the PC as any other PC type file.

mrcyogi

Bear with with. Are you advising to send a mapset from MapSouce to the GPS unit? Then how will I see the mapset's name ("gmapsupp.imp")? You're saying I can rename it in the unit??? I'm confused. Sorry. Give it another go, please.

maps4gps

The first thing you should do with a new GPSr is to back-up the files which came in its internal memory.  Copy everything to a folder on the PC; maybe even write it to a CD/DVD for safety.

The mapset name you see on the GPSr is what the original mapset was named (internally); changing the file name on the GPSr will not change this.

Also see: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

Get a micro memory card and try it.  If you have City Navigator on a Garmin prerecorded card,
ABSOLUTELY DO NOT add nor make any changes that card - it could destroy CN.

Boyd

After sending the mapset, open up the Oregon as though it were a USB disk drive (this should have happened automatically when you connected it to the computer). Find the Garmin folder and find the file inside named gmapsupp.img. Change the name to whatever you like, such as topomap.img. You must keep the .img (NOT .imp) file extension, and I suggest that you only use letters and numbers in the name with no blank spaces.

The name you give the map file has no relation to the map name that will be displayed in the setup menu on the Oregon. It is only for your own organizational purposes. The data inside the file itself determines how the map is named when you use the menu on the Oregon.

mrcyogi