GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Started by davidlouisless, December 08, 2010, 03:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlouisless

I'm new to this GPS stuff so please bear with me.

I've got a new Garmin edge 800 with City Nav and Base Camp installed (from Garmin).  I downloaded Mapsource on my PC and was woundering how I can also down load BaseCamp from my 800 to my PC?  I don't want to keep looking up my GPS to my PC, or dosen't it matter?

Also when loading my work out data and routes using Garmin Connect (to my PC) what does it use as the Map manager, MapSource or Base Camp?

Thanks for any insight,

This stuff is very interesting and challanging to me

David

Boyd

Quote from: davidlouisless on December 08, 2010, 03:32:12 AM
and was woundering how I can also down load BaseCamp from my 800 to my PC?  I don't want to keep looking up my GPS to my PC, or dosen't it matter?

Don't understand you there. BaseCamp is a program that runs on your computer, it isn't "on" your 800.

Just guessing.... do you mean that you use BaseCamp to view the City Navigator maps that are installed on your Edge 800? Did you mean "hooking up" instead of "looking up"?  ???

In other words, do you want to use City Navigator on your computer without connected the GPS to it? If so then, yes, it's possible with a caveat. You can copy a pre-installed City Navigator map to a removable flash drive (USB "thumb drive") and use them on your computer. You would also need to copy the GarminDevice.xml file to the flash drive. I am not familiar with the Edge. Was City Navigator provided with it in internal memory?

Or is it on a pre-loaded Garmin memory card? If so, that card could be used in a USB reader connected to your computer instead of the GPS. I don't know if maps provided on cards can be used on a flash disk as I described above, you would have to try. It's not something that Garmin supports either way, it's more like a "hack".