GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Issues with State Lands Borders-Only Map

Started by no_1_u_know, December 06, 2010, 04:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

no_1_u_know

I am trying to make a map which shows ONLY LA state wildlife management area boundaries for use in conjunction with an existing La State Topo. My efforts are thwarted at the second-to-last step: Making the preview file in Mapset toolkit (v 1.77 Beta).   I get a "convert failed" message.

I have the shape file to start the process, and I followed the process for converting the area data into line data, using How To Create Garmin Topo Maps - Part 7 - Borders . I think I am getting through this part of the process OK, but it should be noted that instead of converting a single area to a line (a single state border in the tutorial), I am working with multiple areas as one file.  In any case, I am able to save the converted .shp.

I then move on to  How To Create Garmin Topo Maps - Part 8 - Combining Data, where I successfully build an .mp file.  One thing I am doing when I create the MP is I am selecting "all loaded data", instead of limiting to some Lat/long for the Export Bounds. I am also NOT using any gridding; just one data file. I am using the template and all of the suggested scripts. 

Next, I create the image file using How To Create Garmin Topo Maps - Part 9 - Compiling Data    Of course, there's not much to compile, as i am only using a single data source for the .img. This step seems to work fine.  Then I open Mapset toolkit (v 1.77 Beta), and the interface looks quite different than the one on the tutorial. (I don't see any place to download anything BUT the Beta at the Mapset Toolkit site).  And I do hit "START", not "compile".  That is when I get the convert failed error message. 

Obviously, there is more detail.  If someone want's to PM me with an email address, I could send some screen-shots of various settings.

Any thoughts ???

Much appreciation,

Steven 

Boyd

Does it actually say "convert failed" or is it something funny like "convert termined". That message actually means it succeeded - had me fooled the first time as well.

no_1_u_know

jbensman

Do you realize Eastern Land Ownership http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/180/
has these boundaries and is a transparent overlay that will work on topo of LA Topo.  I don't have lines for borders-it shades the area and you can see where the boundarie area. 

Also I am in the process of adding LA, MS, and AL to My Trails.  I will likely upload a new version with these states tommorow.  I am having trouble finding trail info other than the USFWS land.  I've been scouring the State's GIS site and am not finding much.  Do you know of any trail data for LA?

I can add the borders of the WMA to My Trails in a couple of minutes.  Take a look at Eastern land Ownership and let me know if that meets your needs-if it does not, I will add the borders to My Trails. 

no_1_u_know

Thanks J,

I'm kind of new to this, so I haven't yet come across any trail data.  I did just do some searching, and it seems that most of the data out there is from mountain bikers. There does not seem to be any for La.

That map you suggested is great. It has what I need, I think. It looks like the features are areas, rather than lines. Is that correct? And I should be able to see through the areas to the underlying elevation data on my topo, right?   Is there a way to look at two maps at once in Mapsource to see what it will look like?  I should get my Oregon 450 in a day or two.  

Of course, I would still like to know what is going wrong with my operation, if anyone can help me diagnose the problem. Again, since there are so many parameters involved, the best way to do that might be to send someone the original shape file, and some screen shots of the settings I am using.  It doesn't look like i can attach anything to PM's through the forums, however.

maps4gps

Unfortunately the software will only display  one mapset at a time.

jbensman

Yes you are correct the topo lines will show through, it has area, and there is no way to see them both at the same time in MapSource or BaseCamp.  The best option is to have the data in the topo map or City Navigator.  But if the polygons are not in the orginal map, you have to trick the GPS to get it to work.  The way the map works is I created a typ file that defines the polygons with a color.  The typ file also tells the GPS to make it an overlay but to only cover every other pixil.  So if you look at the map you can see how it adds a tint to the map.

On your problem, first is the img file name 8 numbers long?  If it is not, it will not work.  If it is 8 numbers long, the problem is in your  .mp file.  Send me the mp file and I will take a look at it.  Actutually, if you select additinal options, you could attach it to your post. 

What program are you using?  I use gpsmaedit.  The tutorial is for making complex maps and what you are doing is a simple map that can be created with a few mouse clicks if you have the settings correct.  In gpsmapedit, other then the settings, all you have to do is drag and drop the file, convert to polyline and then compile the img file.

no_1_u_know

Thanks J,

img and mp files attached. I note that the img does have an 8 digi name.   For the img file i am using globalmapper. for the mp I am using cgpsmapper.exe with the dictionary header and scripts listed in the tutorial. I just followed the instructions, but I suppose I should be learning what I am doing, as opposed to just following the steps listed.

Let me know what you find out.

Boyd

Quote from: no_1_u_know on December 07, 2010, 01:27:58 PMFor the img file i am using globalmapper.

I don't think GlobalMapper can read or write .img files, can it? I think you mean that you create the .mp file in Globalmapper and the .img file with cgpsmapper, right?

no_1_u_know

Quote from: Boyd on December 07, 2010, 02:47:01 PM
Quote from: no_1_u_know on December 07, 2010, 01:27:58 PMFor the img file i am using globalmapper.

I don't think GlobalMapper can read or write .img files, can it? I think you mean that you create the .mp file in Globalmapper and the .img file with cgpsmapper, right?

You are right. I used G'Mapper to convert the area data to line data, but it was till a .shp.  Then I ran cgsmapper to create the .img.    So many apps... 

jbensman

The problem is with MapSettool kit.  I installed the img file and compiled the mp file and then installed the img file.  So I would say you have something set wrong in mapsettoolkit.

Also, the mp is set to not transparnet - it needs to be set to transparnet without background object.  I cannot tell you how to do that in global mapper.  You also have lots of levels you do not need.  But these will not cause te error message you are getting. 

maps4gps

Use a text editor on the GM produced .mp file.  In the header section, change Transparent=N to Transparent=Y.
If you are going to do many of these, once you get everything the way you want (number of levels, etc.); make a templete file of the header section and have GM use it when it creates the .mp file.

Boyd

If there's a background object in your GlobalMapper file you can find and delete with by searching for MP_TYPE = 0x4b

But you probably also need to create a transparent map.

no_1_u_know

Quote from: maps4gps on December 08, 2010, 06:53:46 AM
Use a text editor on the GM produced .mp file.  In the header section, change Transparent=N to Transparent=Y.
If you are going to do many of these, once you get everything the way you want (number of levels, etc.); make a template file of the header section and have GM use it when it creates the .mp file.

Thanks "maps",

Very interesting. Looking at the .mp is a good learning experience.  I assume that each group of data below the image def defines a polygon, and that each of the paired lat/long defines a line segment.  I see that the first and last coordinate are the same, completing the polygon.  Is there some convention for the starting point and direction (cw vs ccw) of travel around the polygon?

no_1_u_know

to put them in google earth, I think you will ultimately have to create a .kmz file from the data.  I would expect that this is shape file data. If you want to use this in your GPS unit, and probably if you want to see all of the public land at once in GE, you will need to create a transparent map out of the shape file.  I am an amateur at this, so I'll defer to others here who know more than I.