GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin GPSMap 62ST

Started by jwwphoto, December 04, 2010, 01:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwwphoto

I ordered this unit, but have not received it yet.  I called Garmin while researching what I needed and I thought the Tech Support said the 62ST came loaded with a 24K Topo Basemap.   I read elsewhere that it is the 100K basemaps....

Can anyone confirm what is on the Flash card that comes with the 62ST......?

Jeff W Waldrop ???

Boyd

I don't think there will be any memory card. Instead, you will have US Topo 100k in internal memory. The unit has 4 GB internal memory and the map takes about 3GB. So you will have almost 1 GB free internal memory and an empty slot for a card. If you want to use BirdsEye, get the biggest card you can afford. :)

These are the maps that will be on the unit: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=28229

Definitely not 24k topo's.

jwwphoto

Thanks, Boyd....

100 K maps may be all I need for camping and hiking.

Thanks

Jeff W Waldrop

jwwphoto

Well, I was wrong.....  I bought the 24k maps and do enjoy the difference very much so....

Jeff

LucaPCP

I have the Garmin 100k maps installed on my unit, and I find them next to useless: the shading is so dark, that visibility in daylight w/o backlight is very poor.  Is the shading of the 24k maps any better?

Boyd

If you go to the map setup menu, you can turn off shaded terrain. Don't know how to do this on the 62st, but on the Oregon you would find it under advanced map settings. Makes a big difference in readability.

LucaPCP

Yes, I also turn down shading -- but then it's not clear why the Garmin 24k maps would be better than the topo maps available from this site.
Why would they be?

Boyd

The Garmin 24k maps contain the same Navteq road data as City Navigator. This is much more accurate than the TIGER files that most of us use for our own maps. It's also fully routable and supports address search - something not available on any free maps. The 24k topo maps also have the same rich POI database as City Navigator - you can search for gas stations, restaurants, stores, etc. No free maps will have that data.

The terrain (DEM) data in the Garmin maps also will provide realistic 3d views using Basecamp on your computer. No tools exist for doing this in free maps.

I have made my own maps and posted them on this site, so obviously I'm a believer. But it depends on what you need and what you expect from the maps. If you want full routing capabilities and only need them within the region covered by one of the 24k topo's, they might be a good solution for both on and off roads use, saving you the expense of purchasing City navigator.

LucaPCP

My use for the maps is essentially hiking.  For routing, I have my Android phone, and I frankly prefer it -- it has a better screen, in the end, and I like very much the map search, ability to call places, email integrated, etc etc.

Are the 24k maps significantly better than the free maps on this site for hiking?

The only reproach I have to the free maps on this site is that I still have to find a map that has the right amount of detail at all scales -- often the contour lines are either too dense, or too sparse.  Of course it might not be possible to create an optimal map within the constraints of the rendering taking place in the Garmin...

maps4gps

What area is it that you are in?

You can 'preview' an area of your choice on Garmin's website for their 24k topo.