GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Loading maps to Garmin 60CSx

Started by campNride, November 29, 2010, 03:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

campNride

So I have tried downloading topo maps to my Garmin 60CSx with no luck. I have read and followed the tutorals several times with no luck. It keeps saying the maps are locked and couldn't access. All the maps are loaded on my computer in mapsource and work fine on there. I even tried using Garmin mapinstall that came with it and still no luck. Any ideas??? Thanks for your help.

Greg

Boyd

Not sure, but this *might* have to do with the new(er) version(s) of Mapsource. Evidently there are issues with certain ranges of FID (the FID is a number that the author assigns to his maps). In the past, everyone just made up whatever number they liked. Now Garmin has changed their copy protection scheme and reserved certain numbers for their exclusive use. In fact, I was having problem with a map I'm making myself and have been meaning to look into this.

From the map_authors yahoo group:

Fri Nov 5, 2010 7:25 pm
Filohipo <filohipo@...>
Re: [ GPS Maps ] New Mapsource 6.16.3 & custom maps

Behaviour depends on MAP ID.
If Map id is more or equal 2200 it will search for a new file in the hard
drive, in order to authenticate map as belonging to Garmin.
Maps not authenticated are not displayed. So, change your Map ID to less
then 2200.

Regards
F

If this is the problem, then there isn't anything that you can do as a user, it would need to be corrected by the author. You might try to use an older version of mapsource from here: http://www.gawisp.com/perry/mapsource/

I'm curious... have others run into this problem yet?

maps4gps

Interesting as I remember OZ's maps being 3xxx and I have used 4xxx, 5xxx, and recently 7xxx as I saw OpenStreetMaps using 6xxx.  Perhaps not many are using MS 6.16.3 and custom vector maps.

Boyd

I have a couple mapsets that use 6xxx. I was trying to install one the other day, and I kept getting bogus errors about not having enough memory on the device. It said something like "180MB is required but the device only has 5,200MB available, which of course didn't make any sense. Finally I gave up and used sendmap20, but I would like to understand what is going on.

maps4gps

I remember something similiar a decade or so ago; it may have been when the processors went from 16 to 32 bits.  I still use a couple of DOS based programs which give an incorrect freespace value and say there is not enough freespace to write a few Mb sized file when there may be over 100Gb of free space. 

jbensman

Quote from: Boyd on November 29, 2010, 06:11:42 PM
I have a couple mapsets that use 6xxx. I was trying to install one the other day, and I kept getting bogus errors about not having enough memory on the device. It said something like "180MB is required but the device only has 5,200MB available, which of course didn't make any sense. Finally I gave up and used sendmap20, but I would like to understand what is going on.

I am very familiar with that error message.  When I am updating a map in My Trails I will just compile the new map and then load it on My GPS until I get that error message (or before I upload a new installer).  It usually takes fairly significnat changes or a change in the boundary of the map before I get the error message.  When I get that error message, I run MapSettoolkit - uninstall My Trails and then recreate it.  Then it works fine.

Seldom

Quote from: jbensman on November 29, 2010, 09:01:16 PM
Quote from: Boyd on November 29, 2010, 06:11:42 PM

I am very familiar with that error message.  When I am updating a map in My Trails I will just compile the new map and then load it on My GPS until I get that error message (or before I upload a new installer).  It usually takes fairly significnat changes or a change in the boundary of the map before I get the error message.  When I get that error message, I run MapSettoolkit - uninstall My Trails and then recreate it.  Then it works fine.

Pretty much what jbensman says above. The few times I've gotten that error I've been trying to replace an existing IMG file in a MapSource directory with one of the same name, but without re-building the TDB that goes with it. The IMG shows up fine in MapSource, but when I try to send it to a device I get Boyd's weird "your tiny memory isn't enough" error.

Regarding the filohipo quote.  All my maps are in the 4xxx range, and I'm running MapSource 6.16.3 with no problems.  filohipo may be referring to "locked" maps.  IIRC Stan said something about Garmin creating an upper limit for locked FIDs in the goodbye letter he posted on Map Authors.

Boyd

Quote from: seldom_sn on November 30, 2010, 03:27:16 AM
Pretty much what jbensman says above. The few times I've gotten that error I've been trying to replace an existing IMG file in a MapSource directory with one of the same name, but without re-building the TDB that goes with it. The IMG shows up fine in MapSource, but when I try to send it to a device I get Boyd's weird "your tiny memory isn't enough" error.

Bingo! That is exactly what I was doing - thank you for the insight. I am rebuilding a mapset one tile at a time, and drop the new tiles into the directory as I complete them. As you note, everything works fine in Mapsource.

You may be right about the FID only applying to locked maps. Well, this thread has solved my problem, but unfortunately we don't seem to be helping the OP with his issue.  :-[

jbensman

Quote from: campNride on November 29, 2010, 03:11:04 PM
So I have tried downloading topo maps to my Garmin 60CSx with no luck. I have read and followed the tutorals several times with no luck. It keeps saying the maps are locked and couldn't access. All the maps are loaded on my computer in mapsource and work fine on there. I even tried using Garmin mapinstall that came with it and still no luck. Any ideas??? Thanks for your help.

Greg

What mapset are you trying to load?  Have you tried other maps to see if they work?

campNride

Sorry I got deployed and havn't had a chance to try it again or look at it...