GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Adding trails and road detail to Idaho map

Started by store934, January 26, 2009, 01:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

store934

I think I know the answer to my question (recreate my own Idaho map from scratch) but I thought I would check if there is an easier way to do this.

I have been using the GIS data from here http://www.fs.fed.us/ipnf/eco/yourforest/gis/index.html in global mapper for sometime for making paper maps with all roads and trails in the area.

I downloaded the idaho mapsource from here ( very nice and thank you!!).  I have a garmin 130 that I plan on trying to put a portion of these on. 

My question is would I have to rebuild Idaho from scratch to include these trails and roads?  Some them are not included in the basemap from here but I enjoy knowing where all old roads and trails are.  There is really only a subset of that I would like to add for day to day use.   Can I make an overaly / transparent map just for the roads / trails I want and use it with the existing basemap from here(can a rino 130 ev even do this?)

Whats the best way to accomplish this.   I am pretty techy if you can at least point me in the right direction I can go from there.

Thanks,

maps4gps

1. Use GM to make a .mp file.  Either use a text editor to change the Transparency setting to 'Y'; or use the GM default for .mp with a small line or two - then change the transparency in the headed and remove the data - then use that file as a template when exporting to .mp in GM.
2. Use cgpamapper to convert the .mp file to a .img file.
3. Use MapSetTookKit to install the file(s) into MapSource.
4. In MapSource selete your file(s) and the Idaho files to build into one gmapsupp.img file.  Place this file on the GPSr - overriding any which may be on it.

You will probably do this a few times to tweak the line style and zoom-level; or create your own custom line style.

store934

Thanks for the help!

The road / trail files are E00 format so I have been opening them in GM and then exporting as a shape file.

it appears that I can then import the shape file in gpsmapedit ( having trouble getting trails in both to line up??, must be little different projections, any tips here) and from there I believe I can do an export with cgpsmapper to create the replacment image file for the idaho set.   

It appears that if I do it this was it will be installed in the Idaho maps in Mapsource rather than as a separate map. 

I am on the right track with my plan here or should i be doing the methods you have outlined?

-Oz-

just use global mapper throughout; it'll export to .mp file and then use cgpsmapper from there.

Email the trails over though services @ gpsfiledepot.com (remove the spaces around the @) and I can add them when I update the roads to tiger 2008
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

store934

Thanks for the help.  Pretty much have it.  Once loaded though they don't show.  Is there a draw order than needs to happen?

Both maps are enabled on the device but the topo seems to hide my trail file.  I can turn off the topo and see the trails just fine.  When I enable it, they are gone again.

Thanks again!

store934

Oh yea, I forgot to add that I changed this "text editor to change the Transparency setting to 'Y" but I still does not seem to appear unless I turn off the topo, I though transparent was always on top

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

store934

Operator error :)

I changed the Transparent = Y header in the wrong file.....

I will shoot over the trail files.  You have most of them ( if not all ) but this has the trail numbers.

The main thing I wanted was of the inventoried roads in the N Forests. Some where missing from the topo.   But adding them all also adds roads that may be grown in and not drivable ( but they are nice to have for hunting).

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!