GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Memory Format Quesiton on Etrex Vista HCx

Started by no_1_u_know, November 18, 2010, 12:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

no_1_u_know

I am looking to buy a Vista HCx, and I have been looking at memory.  I see the unit takes the micro sd cards up to 4 mb, but it seems that what is MOSTLY available for purchase online - at least in 4gb - is the microsdhc format.

according to this site: http://www.mobileburn.com/definition.jsp?term=microSDHC

MicroSDHC cards are a faster, higher capacity version of the microSD memory card standard. Any microSDHC compatible device can read both microSDHC and older microSD cards, but a microSD compatible device cannot read microSDHC cards.

Does anyone know if the Vista HCx can use the microsdhc cards?

Thanks!

Steven

Indrid Cold

Yes, I have used an 8GB in mine and never had a problem.

no_1_u_know

Quote from: Indrid Cold on November 18, 2010, 02:06:30 PM
Yes, I have used an 8GB in mine and never had a problem.

Indrid,

Thanks for your response. Just  to be clear:  The Vista says Max 4gb, but you are using an 8gb card, and that card is a microSDHC, not a standard microSD?  Are ALL microSD cards over 2GB HC's? Also, I understand the "HC" in the Vista HCx means H = High sensitivity receiver; C = Color and the x = onboard compass. Is this your understanding? In other words, the "HC" in the unit name has nothing to do with the "HC" in micro SDHC. Is this correct?

S~

Indrid Cold

You're running on old information. They upgraded their OS to FAT 32 to use larger cards and files. Your gps will use up to a 4GB file size, but can us a micoSDHC card up to 32 GB. Btw: the x in the model name is for expandable, not compass as the Legend HCx doesn't have a compass.

The gps will use the extra space to log tracks in any case.

no_1_u_know

Thanks Indrid. That's good info. I was just reading the product info at REI.com

BTW: They are having a sale on the Vista HCx: $169 starting tomorrow. Perhaps I will post a new thread on that.

mi77915

Quote from: no_1_u_know on November 18, 2010, 02:26:58 PM
Thanks Indrid. That's good info. I was just reading the product info at REI.com

BTW: They are having a sale on the Vista HCx: $169 starting tomorrow. Perhaps I will post a new thread on that.

Yes, I saw that add from REI also!!! I ordered one this past Saturday at that price. It also ships free!!! I have been looking for a good deal on the Vista HCx for a while and this is the lowest price I have seen it!! If you are in the market for one of these units, now is the time to get one.

Tom

cgulker

Got my Vista HCx yesterday from online Wallmart website for $ 154.00 to my door.  I've never seen it priced so low.