News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

map integrity, memory gps mapper, and user's

Started by deepspace, January 23, 2009, 07:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deepspace

Big title I know.
I sent a few copies to some people to go through to check integrity of one map. seems like a good thing to do before sending out.
A few things came up.
A) For some reason all the roads in Clallam county are duplicated, driving from here to there things where looking good, at the crossing of the county line I spotted it. It was persisted county wide. (opening in global mapper zooming in I see its true and not just the hand held) Any one else seen this? The transportation file was created with the topo_process.
Stan e-mailed me to inform me a new version of gps mapper is coming out with no memory limitations.
While looking at this map with another user I saw a high level of frustration on his part having to toggle back and forth while using the map. Any time he was zoomed out over 800' he of course had nothing because the map isn't transparent. He could not get a handle on toggling very well. My point is: if these maps are for general use they should be easily used. would it not be better to make them transparent, seems th only real hitch would be the major highways conflicting possibly.
I guess I need to run the transportation again.
Cheers-Marc

maps4gps

I used GM to look at the Tiger edge file for Clallam co WA.  I sampled 30+- lines (mostly roads) across the county, but did not find any duplicates - by using the digitized tool, clicking on a line, and deleting it, there were no second lines at the location.

The 800ft zoom/display level is bit-level 23.  Sounds like no features were defined past this level (ie. 22, 20, 18 ?).  Use the statistics in MapEdit to check that at least some things are defined to the level just before the 'blank' level (the level which indicates when the base map comes on).

If the map was made transparent, I believe the base map would also show, and being very general would really be confusing.

If you wanted you map data to show zoomed out past 800ft (like most custom maps do), then something needs to be changed.

-Oz-

What exactly is he not seeing past 800ft.  I believe all the minor roads show up to the 0.2mi zoom.  And others show way past that.

I would try the transportation again based upon what maps4gps is saying above that it shouldn't have happened.

if you want the zoom to be less just open the header in each of your .mp files and decrease the zoom level by one so make 23 to 22 and 21 to 20, etc.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

deepspace

Ran the transport again no problems. Above 800 feet you only see the name of say a geocache, no roads minor or major. I'll sort it out.
Thanks-

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

deepspace

No there is zilch. I am working it out I think. I have placed a small section on the server for some others to download and critic before I do the final.

deepspace

here are the zooms:
Levels=9
Level0=24
Level1=23
Level2=22
Level3=21
Level4=19
Level5=18
Level6=17
Level7=16
Level8=15
Zoom0=0
Zoom1=1
Zoom2=2
Zoom3=3
Zoom4=4
Zoom5=5
Zoom6=6
Zoom7=7
Zoom8=8

maps4gps

Unless you need them for some specific reason, I would say you are using too many levels.  I believe cgpsmapper makes a set of coordinates for each zoom level, so the .img files will be much bigger with a lot of zoom levels.   

-Oz-

that is correct and also why the roads disappear.  The way the dictionary works everything would be gone by zoom 4 which is only .2mi or something along those lines.

Try these levels:
Level0=23
Level1=22
Level2=20
Level3=18
Level4=17
Zoom0=0
Zoom1=1
Zoom2=2
Zoom3=3
Zoom4=4
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

deepspace

Ok, I'll go back to the base and start over. Interesting thing is when you look at each level you see nothing unless you are at level 0.
Back at it in the morning, Thanks!

deepspace

I am wondering I if I see this correct. I opened my state/county base and set the levels as suggested. Made sure the dictionary was included, not altered. Then added the salt water .mp, then added fresh water .mp, then added transport .mp (this version is not to have contours). At level 0 everything is visible, at level 1, I only see the county lines and pacific ocean, lost the inner water channels (maybe should be one water file). At level 3 there is nothing same with 4. I am still using gpsmapedit even though I now have global mapper, I am just not familiar with the later.
Cheers-Marc

erik.the.awful

No it doesn't and it is critical that all of the zoom levels match in every file you import in that is .mp format. It will cause all kinds of grief by "bumping" data up if you have different levels and bits. For all of my .mp's I use to compile a quad (i'm too cheap to pay for the full version) I make sure that all have the exact same level and zoom settings before combining them together.