News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Just found the site

Started by bankerboy, July 11, 2008, 12:27:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bankerboy

COOL!   8)

Let me know how it turns out.  I will be hitting the trails starting August 10th so if you have them ready, I would love to try them out.

Thanks for your effort.

-Oz-

i am uploading california now.  It'll take the next 13 hours for the mac and pc versions... slow internet :)
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

bankerboy

It is beautiful!  Very nice to have such high resolution.

One question.  When I upload the maps to the gpsmap 60cs, the roads appear as does the water features but the topo lines do not.   The other topo maps from miscjunk and here work in this respect.

Am I doing something wrong?

bankerboy

NEVERMIND.  My dorkness is showing through.  For each region, there are actually two maps that are used. 

-Oz-

yes bankboy, the original maker of the map mad them as two seperate files.  I was trying to combine them and it was a nightmare so you just have to make sure both maps are used for each region.  Just a limitation, glad you posted it though now others will know.
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

savage

Quote from: -Oz- on July 30, 2008, 07:46:49 PM
None of those states are around. (ME, NH, and MA)

The large California file can't be opened as is.  Its "encoded".  I was given access to the data files.  I actually had broken my laptop (and since I'm away from home its what I have now) but the part came and I fixed it (dell's quality has definitely dropped recently) so I'll try to open the parts now.

I just did MA. Looks really good but I must have messed up the water. The waterbodies are not showing in blue. It looks like I am just showing the contour lines. I will re-do the water part this week.

I have also few other small things to fix. I should have a first version of the map sometimes during the week.

-Oz-

That is very exciting... I'm so glad someone started doing the northeast.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

serenityvalley

New here too. 

This site is awesome.  I've been researching maps and POI's for the Garmins for a couple of weeks and only now found your site, linked from a post in  ADVrider.com:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379574

I was wondering how much work goes into making one of these maps, and if a doofus like me could do it.  I've got a decently wide DSL, an old HP server with dual 866mhz processors (XP pro) and 3.5gig of RAM memory, so processing/compiling shouldn't take too much time, plus it's not my main machine so I can use it whenever my GF isn't doing any programming side gigs which is most of the time.  This server usually sits there in the corner turned off  It's not doing any webserver stuff here.

I'd be interested in working on the upper Midwest States like Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and Ill-Noise.   I've only been reading the info here for an hour or so but it looks like the directions are pretty straight-forward and most of the software is free (except for that one EXPENsive one, Global Mapper).  I'm basically an unemployed bum with a lot of free time but very little cash, but if this can be done with the alternative program then I'm up for giving it a shot.

I was wondering how many hours it takes to do a state, and how much Hard Drive space is necessary to cache all this data while working on it. 

-Oz-

Let's see.

I wrote a tutorial on how to do it: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-create-garmin-topo-maps/

It actually would take quite awhile with only 866mhz (cgpsmapper can't do dual core).

Hard drive space... let's see around 20gb, maybe 30gb during the actual processing.  And yes global mapper is definitely the most expensive program in the list.

Hours, hmm; I'm not sure how long it would take because I wrote a few programs to do a lot of the steps for me.  For Idaho (which is compiling now) it took me about a week to get all the data and process the roads, water, contours, etc.  The part that has taken almost a week is the actual converting from .mp files to the .img files.  And that is with my laptop going (its not super fast, 2gb ram with 2ghz processor, another computer with dual core 2.8ghz, and a slow laptop with 1.2ghz processor).  Some of these files are 600mb .mp files which take 18-24hrs to process.

Any other questions let me know.  Your advantage would definitely be that you can just let your computer sit there and go (which is what I will do as soon as I get all moved in to my new place).
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!