GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Just found the site

Started by bankerboy, July 11, 2008, 12:27:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bankerboy

I have been looking for a better solution to Topo maps for my Garmin.  I just bought the 2008 Topo and was really let down.  It makes for good driving info but it is not too helpful in the biking and hiking dept.  I am looking forward to using your Utah and Arizona maps.  Thanks for all the work.

Any ideas on the timeframe for the California Topo?

Again, awsome site.  Thanks!

bankerboy

Thanks for the help  :)
BUT I have an older  GPSmap 60CS so it does not have a removable SDcard.  I need to find a way to have the topo map available in mapsource so I can download only the needed maps.  That is why the AZ topo here and the other states available over at Miscjunk have  been so well recieved.  Somewhere out there, somebody is working on the CA topo that is using the same format.  I hope to see it.  I am a guppy in a big ocean of info right now.  I am learning new tricks as I go along but I don't think I am anywhere ready to create my own 24k topo yet.

If anybody has any ideas, I am willing to learn.

ryleyinstl

If you download MapsetToolKit it will alow you to load the map into MapSource.

http://cypherman1.googlepages.com/

I have used it to load many IMG maps into the MapSource program.  If it will then alow you to cut the Cali map into smaller pices to fit on the CS I'm not sure.

I'm currently using the tutorial here to download and process the topo data for Missouri.  My hope is that I can figure out how to turn it into a transparent map to overlay over the (very good) Ibycus USA maps.  This would give me a verily good topo map.

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycususa/

treepharmer

Found this site on groundspeak forum also saw where OZ was working on MS topo when do you think it will be ready to download. The Garmin does not have enough detail for me. Great site !!

ryleyinstl

If you want to create a "quick" topo overlay of a smaller chunk of MS while you are waiting give this a shot.  In a few hours or less you could have a few hundred square KM of topo.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=189762&st=450&p=3563764&#entry3563764

-Oz-

I have the major parts done.  I just need federal lands.  I'm actually working on it right now so I'll have a better ETA in a few hours.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

bankerboy

Oz,

Garmin needs to worry about you.  You are able to create in days and months what has taken them years to get around to and still not finish.  Furthermore, they have made their maps only work in the current model GPS, making mine obsolete.   Thank you for your hard work and to all the others who are helping you out.  You guys rock!

Let me know when you get California up.

-Oz-

Mississippi will be up by this weekend.  It'll compile each night this week and probably take 2-3 nights to compile.

It is sad that it takes Garmin so long but I still can't do routing.
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

bankerboy

Is California in the works?  Do you have a time frame for the state?

bankerboy

So I am assuming there is not any effort to create a CA topo right now? 

Any help would be appreciated.  I cannot use the 1 MB CA topo map because I have only a GPSMAP 60CS and not X.  Limitied space on the gps limits my maps since I cannot use a SD card.

-Oz-

I am looking into how to do it.

I don't currently have fast enough internet where I am based for the next couple weeks to download all the data.  If I can open all the source files of the above cali map I should be able to split them

The other guy, David (IndyJpr) was working on a new map but I'm not sure how far he got; he's been pretty busy lately.

I will be able to let you know how the splitting goes during the weekend.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

bankerboy

Just following up to see if you had any luck with the CA Topo split.

If you have suggestions on how to do it, I am open.  I have downloaded the large California file but I still have no way to use it.

Thanks!

savage

Great site!
I am looking for topo maps for ME, NH, and MA? If none are around I will start on MA and then ME.

-Oz-

None of those states are around. (ME, NH, and MA)

The large California file can't be opened as is.  Its "encoded".  I was given access to the data files.  I actually had broken my laptop (and since I'm away from home its what I have now) but the part came and I fixed it (dell's quality has definitely dropped recently) so I'll try to open the parts now.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!