GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Mapsource install tutorial

Started by Boyd, November 04, 2010, 08:21:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boyd

Saw this suggested elsewhere, and it sounded like a good idea. Instead of the trick of installing Training Center and then Mapsource, you could install BaseCamp first, then Mapsource. I think BaseCamp also includes the crude basemap and Mapsource should see that when installed.

This would make a little more sense IMO, since most people will find BaseCamp more useful than Training Center. I don't have a "clean" machine handy to try this on myself at the moment, but seems like it would work.

-Oz-

I don't have a clean maching right now either so would be curious to test this out before changing the tutorial.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Ghostwheel

I registered just to tell you that on a clean Acer laptop machine with Windows Vista SP1, installing Basecamp, then MapSource worked perfectly.  I'll let you know tomorrow if the whole thing works with my GPS.

Of course, it might only work for my specific setup.....;~) Your mileage may vary.

Boyd

Excellent - thanks for taking the time to share that. I'm pretty sure it will work for everyone. After installing basecamp, I think you now have a really basic garmin map on your computer. And that is what Mapsource looks for before it will install.

EagleBoy

Same routine worked for me on Win 7 64 bit.  I still can't believe Garmin is trying to sell that SW.

Boyd

Actually Garmin doesn't try very hard to "sell" Mapsource (although you CAN buy it). The real point is that Mapsource is (or perhaps "was") the medium they used to sell their MAPS. Using it as part of a system to propagate free maps like the ones here was certainly the furthest thing from their mind!

But I think they deserve some props myself. Instead of shutting us down by making it incompatible with free maps, they have chosen to just ignore what's going on. That's a smart move IMO, because the availability of free maps is a plus for people who choose their products.

Ghostwheel

It's one of the reasons I bought their product..... 8)