GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

surveying

Started by heyyou325, November 07, 2010, 09:54:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heyyou325

This should probably be in the mapping stuff, but I'll put it here anyways.  I have been mostly reading and using free stuff from on here.  Trying to learn (actually it's the remembering part that's hardest).  There was a topic awhile back on drawing boundary lines with waypoints.  http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,1130.msg7290.html#msg7290  .  Is there a place I can get the maps with section lines on that will enlarge enough to really be able to see easily?  My parents divided land between their kids, my siblings over 20 years ago.  About 28 acres each as they kept some also.  Parents have died, some siblings have died and the others decided we needed to get this settled while we all get along.  The lines have never really been mapped to scale, and I'm sure the corners aren't that accurate as we as laymen used compass and tapes to measure 150 acres.  I've marked the corners on the  bottom 40, and now want to see how far off they actually are.  http://www.csgnetwork.com/gpsdistcalc.html  is supposed to help me find distances between coordinates.  I have seen maps with section lines on them, but can't find them now.  Any help would really be appreciated.  Or if you could help find distances easier , or where the corners should be, coordinate wise.   I know you guys have been real good on other things for me. 

maps4gps

An overlay/transparent mapset with section lines from BLM files is here: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/399/
For legal accuracy you should hire a professional surveyor.

Boyd

Do a little searching on the web for GIS data in your state/county/town. For example, in my state (NJ) you can download full shapefile data for all the property in the state here:

https://njgin.state.nj.us/NJ_NJGINExplorer/IW.jsp?DLayer=Parcels%20by%20County/Muni

There are also county GIS websites that host their own datasets. Once you have downloaded, find your parcel(s) and turn them into a transparent garmin map (.img file) or a custom map (.kmz file) if your unit supports it.

The .kmz file is capable of more accuracy than the .img file, and it can include aerial imagery, but you need one of Garmin's newer handhelds to use these. I wrote about this here: http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,1335.0.html

heyyou325

My folks did hire a professional surveyor, it's a long story.  I was sort of looking for maps either for mapsource or just on the computer, as my 76cs has such a small screen.  I thought I could use EarthExplorer, but can't seem to get section lines on it.  Tried several GIS sites, but I'm missing something on getting the section lines.  Probably just the right command to push on the screen.  I don't think you can use a transparency on mapsource and see the areas of the map.  I think I read that anyway, and have only pursued it briefly.  I guess I'll quit being so lazy and go back to trying to understand and find things on some state sites.  Thanks for your help.

maps4gps

QuoteI don't think you can use a transparency on mapsource and see the areas of the map.
You can use gpsmapedit to display on the computer more than one .img file.
I have heard that BaseCamp can be used to view on the computer the files on the GPSr.
Following Boyd's suggestion to obtain data; GlobalMapper will display a variety of formats - with the free version you can open up to four files at a time; you will not be able to save any data; however, you can zoom-in and record the coordinates of the cursor location.

Boyd

If you can find your parcel info in a shapefile on your state's GIS website, you can actually see the coordinates of each corner using the Globalmapper free trial version:

But maybe I don't understand what you're trying to do. Why do you want this on your computer but not on your GPS? Do you want to try to find the coordinates on the GPS? It would be much better to make a map of your property and view it on the GPS, even with a low resolution screen. You would see a polygon representing your property line. Just follow it to the corners.

Of course, you are going to bump up against the limits of a consumer GPS, which is about +/- 5 meters. So readings you take on different days could be as much as 10 meters (33 feet) different.

BTW, BaseCamp won't really help much with this. It can only open entire mapsets on the GPS if they were provided by Garmin. It cannot access maps on the GPS that were uploaded with Mapsource or MapInstall. Also, I don't think you would be very happy trying to access any maps on the GPSMap 76 because of the S L O W USB 1.0 interface.  ;)

heyyou325

I might try that globalmapper.  The state's GIS map for the northern tip of Idaho had been down since last spring.  My 2 brothers and sister-in-law still alive are in our 60's and 70's.  We get along good.  Next generation not near as much.  Our parents (mother especially) wanted their original 160 acres to stay in the family forever (not much chance).  First generation agreed to keep it in the family, but not always possible.  Surveyor took my parents and a neighbor who paid for the survey for the same reason in their family(subdividing for family).  We (my siblings) would like to refind the corners and get them as close as possible without spending too much money.  In Idaho if something is used as a boundary for 7 yrs it is considered legal and a new survey won't change it.  I would like to find the coordinates as much as possible over the next couple of years to straighten things out.  I know my handheld is + or - 5 meters, and some corners are in heavy timber, but before it was 2 handheld compasses and 4 50 ft tapes that measured things.  I have 40 acres with 16 waypoints on all but 4 corners.  I've been told the more satellites you recieve the more accurate you are, and I've had 5 or more on 14 of the 16 I got.  Shot the ones in heavy timber 3 or 4 times and on all but one had at least 2 the same.  Only 106 acres to go after that.  2 of the 3   1/8 mile lines are pretty straight. the second (middle) one is not.  I can convert the coordinates to distance with a program mentioned above, and can place them on a map.  I would like to see how the front waypoints correspond with section lines, as they should fall right on them.  The third row should do the same with the quarter line.  That was marked with a surveyor who was supposed to be licensed and bonded but wasn't.  If I can get a good map downloaded with section lines on I should be able to improve things.  I had some maps located, and saved the web sites, but can't remember just what I had to click to get to them.  Forrest Service maps used to always have them.  I figure I forget something simple, and someone here would give me a quick reply.  My experiences here have always been very good.   Thanks for the help.