GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

GPS MAP 62S Questions?

Started by hear duck, October 25, 2010, 10:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hear duck

I bought a GPSMAP 62S about a month ago and have some questions.  I'm having two things happening which I don't know if it's normal or not.....

1.   When I turn the unit on it places a small track dot and then the GPS lays a track to the dot without me moving. 
2.   The track seems to be inconsistent.  It often cut corners off at a 45 degree angle which when measured is anywhere from 30' to 50' off.  Sometimes it tracks exactly on the road and other times it's off 15' to 20'.

I've talked to three Garmin reps and they sent me a new unit but the new unit operates the same as the original.  Called then after receiving the new unit and the rep said.....

1.   The unit making its own tracking line upon start up is because it is acquiring satellites and they are moving.  He called it satellite drift.  Is this true because the unit didn't do it before the most recent update.
2.   He said that the track tolerance can be up to 50' off and it's not always consistent with the path I'm taking.  He also suggested some setting change to fix the cutting-off of the corners but that didn't work.

Kinda just curious if this is the way they work or is there a setting(s) that could be changed to correct these issues.   This is my first GPS so I have no idea of what is acceptable.  I'm using the Wisconsin 24K Topo map from this site.  Any suggestions??   

maps4gps

I only have a 76 and a CO300.  On start-up, the indicated location and circle of error can be off a fair amount, especially if the unit has not been used for some time and/or its location has changed considerable since it was turned off.  As more satellites are acquired, the location becomes better.

Our source of transportation data is usually Census TIGER files.  I have never heard what their source of info is, but I doubt it is any better than USGS 24k maps.  The finest line that can be printed (1/100 of an inch) at 1:24000 scale is 20ft.  The position indicated by the GPSr also has error in it, even more so when it is moving.  On one jeep trip last year, I had Census transportation, and Forest Service roads/trails which they had digitized from USGS 1:24k, and the GPSr showing the trail as driven - which one was furthest from the other two continually changed; and the return added a fourth path weaving among the other three.

Not sure how the 62 works, but perhaps you did not turn on the tracking function until after the GPSr/satellites had 'settled down' when you first got the unit.  I turn on the unit for a few minutes before starting out and then clear the track log just before starting to move.  There are settings you can change on how often (time or distance) a point will be recorded.  Auto seams to work fairly well; however, if you are on a trail with a lot of switch-backs a manual setting with a small time and stoping at each switch-back may give better results.  It might also produce more 'static' as there is some position error in each position, both horizontally and vertically.