GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Birdeye Subscription download limits?

Started by IDmtBiker, October 23, 2010, 08:38:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IDmtBiker

Birdseye downloads seem to be limited by the "server" when I use my subscription using BaseCamp.  Limits seem to be:  Standard resolution= limit is 56mb, High resolution= limit is 105mb, Highest resolution= limit is 75mb.   Note this limit is the largest "box" per download,  I can of course do multiple downloads and get a larger area. 

So, my question is: are these limits similar to what others have found?

My guess would be that these download limits are due to the total "image"s limit for each resolution, which seems to be about 4,900 images or so.  I am just trying to figure out the tech of this and cannot figure out why the max download of High is more than the max download MB of highest,  you would expect the MB size to increase from standard to High to Highest.

GPS's: Garmin Nuvi 255wt, Garmin Colorado 300, Garmin Oregon 400t, Garmin 60csx, Magellan Triton 500, Garmin Birdseye Subscription

Boyd

When they first rolled out BirdsEye the limits were much larger, around 200-300MB. I believe it was actually limited to 20,000 map tiles. Then without warning Garmin greatly reduced the size. See this thread on Garmin's support forum: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=8675

IDmtBiker

thanks, I did not see that garmin blog earlier.  Just read it now.  Folks sure seem to whine alot on those sites, whine about free apps (BaseCamp) they whine about how their $29 for a year subscp does not allow them to download the entire globe imagery!! haha.  So, the issue is likely just server limits.  I can understand that...and accept it.  I can get lots of targeted areas via Birdseye,  I only use it for special areas that I would actually go to and the topography is so choppy that the topos do not help much...
thanks for your reply.   g
GPS's: Garmin Nuvi 255wt, Garmin Colorado 300, Garmin Oregon 400t, Garmin 60csx, Magellan Triton 500, Garmin Birdseye Subscription

Boyd

I need to find a reasonably priced 32gb card, since my 16gb card is full with BirdsEye. :)

Indrid Cold

Quote from: gdlind on October 23, 2010, 11:58:49 AM
thanks, I did not see that garmin blog earlier.  Just read it now.  Folks sure seem to whine alot on those sites, whine about free apps (BaseCamp) they whine about how their $29 for a year subscp does not allow them to download the entire globe imagery!! haha.  So, the issue is likely just server limits.  I can understand that...and accept it.  I can get lots of targeted areas via Birdseye,  I only use it for special areas that I would actually go to and the topography is so choppy that the topos do not help much...
thanks for your reply.   g
Yep, you hit the nail on the head. WhenGarmin rolled out BirdsEye, the had people having issues with large file download so they limited the size and that made things a lot better.