GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Micro SD Card

Started by TAZ0101, October 14, 2010, 07:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TAZ0101

OK I'm new to this whole thing and I hope someone can explain a few things to me to get going. I have already downloaded the NY Topo map off of this site onto Mapsource.  I purchased a Kingston 2Gig Micro sd card which I placed into the unit.  When I attempt to DL the map to the GPS, Mapsource says that it can't find the card. Am I missing something?

THanks in advance guys...

babj615

What Garmin GPSr are you using?

When you plug it into the PC (or MAC?), can you see the GPSr AND the SD card separately in Explorer?

Have you tried using This: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3291
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

TAZ0101

Sorry Babj...I was tired and frustrated by the time I posted that....I have a Legend HCx...and I'm using a PC...1st thing I did when I loaded up Mapsource was go onto Garmin and upgrade to the newest version.

I then uploaded the Map from here...then I put the SD card into the GPS, turned it on, then USB connected it to my computer.  The computer acknowledges that I have the GPS attached and if I click the GPS to Interface under settings and press the joystick button, the screen on the GPS goes white and the computer stops acknowledging the GPS, but does acknowledge the Card, however, it says something is wrong with the card or that it's not attached if I try to DL to it from Mapsource...I've also tried pressing the lowest left button when I'm in the Interface menu and it shows me occasionally that there is a card there, but shows no available or used memory?????

TAZ0101

To make it worse, I just called Garmin Customer Service and got a guy who seemed to know less about the device than me...of course he said that it was probably the map being it isn't a Garmin product. However, I explained it to him that the device is not recognizing that there is a card in it...he had me try a 2nd Kingston SD 2Gig card which also didn't work...so he said perhaps it is a reader malfunction and that I should send back the whole device???? UGHHHHHHHH

What do u guys think?

Seldom

Are you sure you have the card seated properly?  To lock the metal clip on my 60CSX I pull the metal toward the bottom of unit with my fingernail.

To see if the map is on the card try putting it in an external card reader.  If it's not there, try sending the map from MapSource to the external card reader.

babj615

TAZ, Garmin customer support has been nearly, well, actually, completely worthless thus far, in my experience.

It does sound like you may not have the card seated securely in the unit. I would also suggest trying an external card reader if you continue to have trouble reading it in the unit after reseating the card.

Let us know!
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

TAZ0101

Thanks Seldom and Babj...the card clicks when u seat it and I've seated and reseated it to no avail....on BOTH cards.

I don't have a card reader and to be honest, I don't think I've ever seen one...lol

As for the map, Seldom, it's on my computer not the card, ergo, Y I'm trying to DL it onto the card....

Thanks guys....

Boyd

Here's an inexpensive reader that plugs into a USB port and works with micro SD/SDHC cards without even needing an adaptor: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SanDisk+-+MobileMate+Micro+Media+Card+Reader/8917531.p?id=1217514575711&skuId=8917531&st=card%20reader&contract_desc=null

I think you are going to need something like this in order to confirm that your card is working and that the map file is correctly installed. Once you can access your card on your computer, you should see a folder named Garmin and there should be a file inside that folder named gmapsupp.img.

If this is all present as described above, then there is likely a problem with the card slot on your GPS. If you don't see a Garmin folder on the card, or if it's empty, then the map was not properly installed.

Seldom

Cheaper here:

http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-MobileMate-SDDR-121-Bulk-Package/dp/B0012Y02CE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287172622&sr=8-1

As Boyd says, until you've got one of these you really can't tell if there's anything on the card.

maps4gps

Your computer may have a built-in multi-card port/slot.

TAZ0101

Guys I appreciate all the advice, but it NEVER got that far into putting the map onto the card...I installed the card into the GPS and attempted to DL the map onto the card, but it is not acknowledging the card as a download device.  It is only acknowledging the GPS and won't DL to that...Plus when I go onto the GPS, half the time it says I don't have a card in it and when it does, it says there is no memory on it usable or any already used.  BTW I tried two different of the same card, neither worked.

I will be purchasing the Card reader this weekend though...

TAZ0101

GM guys....just an update...got my new GPS in the mail and everything DL'ed perfectly...guy's thank u for all of ur direction!