News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Rino 530 HCX accuracy

Started by MadDogZ, October 04, 2010, 11:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadDogZ

Hi all,

I just purchased a RINO 530 HCX. I have taken it out for two different hikes. One was a 15 mile hike. On the 15 mile hike I also had a Garmin NUVI. Both recorded approximately the same distance. When I mapped it out in Basecamp it also show the same distance. This hike was near a lake with in an open area.

Just this past weekend I went on a 2.8 mile hike in the mountains/forest. The odometer on the 530 showed that we had traveled only 1.75 miles. When I loaded the log into base camp it says that we actually hiked 2.8 miles as I had expected.

My question to everyone do I have something setup wrong? Or am I just interpreting the odometer incorrectly?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Seldom

First time I've heard of this error with the Rhino, but Garmin just came out with a firmware fix to remedy a comparable error for the ORs.  Prior to the fix, when walking under tree cover your trip computer odometer would report significantly less (like half) of the miles recorded by the tracklog.

-Oz-

The error seldom_sn is reporting hasn't yet been reported on the 530hcx, I wonder if they "upgraded" the hardware and now created this issue; report this to garmin and make sure you have the latest firmware (beta even)
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!