GPSFileDepot.com

Generating 24K maps for entire washington -- a little help

Started by dhisum_dhisum, January 19, 2009, 06:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiiiguy

I made an overlay map but it doesn't seem to work right.  I try to overlay my map and NW trails and NW trails doesn't show up.. can you only overlay 1 map?  I set it to transparent when I compiled it in cgpsmapper

spiiiguy

ok.  since apparently you are limited to 1 map overlay, I combined NW trails  (low res line style) with my POI map and recompiled.. it worked!  now I have POI's showing trailheads & summits as well as the nw trails on the 24K topo wa map!

maps4gps

I have never tried a map with two overlay mapsets, and do not remember it being mentioned before.  You have enlightened us all.  Thanks.

rlreif

Quote from: spiiiguy on April 08, 2009, 10:11:23 AM
ok.  since apparently you are limited to 1 map overlay, I combined NW trails  (low res line style) with my POI map and recompiled.. it worked!  now I have POI's showing trailheads & summits as well as the nw trails on the 24K topo wa map!

would you mind uploading this combined overlay?
I am in washington, and would love to have this

you could put it here: http://idisk.mac.com/rlreif-Public?view=web

thanks in advance

spiiiguy

can't upload it. not free data.  all I can do is give a screenshot.

hopefully there is a WA 2.0 topo 24k eventually that has the POI data, or NW trails with free POI data

dhisum_dhisum

Why not use the NW topo map by John at http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/134/

It has a large number of POIs. Personally that is what I use. Maybe we should just take out the washington 24k topo and have that page redirect to the NW Topo.

spiiiguy

wow guess so.  I figured the wa topo was still in development so I was trying to add on to it.  I can only fit 8 map tiles of that  NW one before I'm out of space! :o

rlreif

not free data?
where did you get it? garmin topo 2008?

I have that map, i guess I didnt know I could get the POI data out of it and use it elsewhere

spiiiguy

yeah, topo 2008

gpsmapedit and global mapper can take a full mapset and pair it down by deleting certain MP_TYPE's.  So you can rip out all polygons & polylines

I downloaded that NW map though, it has some good and bad aspects.  all the POI's are generic POI type instead of specific icons, other than that the map detail is even higher than the 40ft WA topo map

rlreif

then I guess the NW topo with NW Trails would be good enough

maps4gps

Quote from: spiiiguy on April 08, 2009, 04:36:15 PM
the map detail is even higher than the 40ft WA topo map
What is detail for one purpose/person can be clutter for another.  How do you define higher detail?