GPSFileDepot.com

Generating 24K maps for entire washington -- a little help

Started by dhisum_dhisum, January 19, 2009, 06:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhisum_dhisum

shutle64

Hi,

Just checking out the Washington 24K Topo.  I found a few things.

1. Highway 101 is in the water on the west coast by N47 42.772 W124 25.011
2. The strait to the Puget Sound is missing the bodies of water.  The Columbia river disappears at Interstate 90.  It comes up Tan like the land color.
3. There is funny looking contour errors out in the sea on west coast.  I saw the same thing when I was processing Dem files too.  It looks like needs crop to the State borders.
4. The Interstate Flags are missing.

Overall, the contours look good.  The streams look good until it runs into a body of water, since the body of water and streams are two different colors, the streams show though on the lake as well, but I noticed that on the Idaho and Nevada topo as well.  I haven't tried it on the gps yet, just looking at it with Mapsource.

John

-Oz-

Quote from: shutle64 on January 24, 2009, 12:48:59 PM
Overall, the contours look good.  The streams look good until it runs into a body of water, since the body of water and streams are two different colors, the streams show though on the lake as well, but I noticed that on the Idaho and Nevada topo as well.  I haven't tried it on the gps yet, just looking at it with Mapsource.
That is standard (the stream thing) with the NHD data because of how they make the data.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

check out: N47 46 10.5 W122 50 58.9

Shoreline but no water...

I uploaded a mac version of your map and added text/screenshots.

Also, did you include the GNIS POIs?
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

shutle64

Quote from: -Oz- on January 24, 2009, 05:43:27 PM
That is standard (the stream thing) with the NHD data because of how they make the data.

I was just curious if we could change the body of water and the stream to the same color, the stream lines would not show through the body of water, it would blend in the background color of the body of water.

-Oz-

Quote from: shutle64 on January 25, 2009, 06:37:13 PM
Quote from: -Oz- on January 24, 2009, 05:43:27 PM

I was just curious if we could change the body of water and the stream to the same color, the stream lines would not show through the body of water, it would blend in the background color of the body of water.

You'd have to use custom types. Not a bad idea really.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

krellor

Just in case this helps someone else out, the issues I have been having exporting the NHD flowline data from postgre is actually because of a memory leak in the pgsql2shp binary.  I have looked at the source code, ran the process with my debugger attached, etc... and that thing throws a heap corruption for every single row it exports.  I have given this info to the postgre and postgis folks and re-compiled postgis from source.

Seriously though, I'm at the point where if anyone has the already processed flowline shp file I'd be willing to find a way to compensate anyone who could upload it to my ftp server.  I could give you some free ftp storage or something.  I don't know why you all are able to export the data without all of these problems, but the memory leak is there, so either you are crunching less data so you don't run out, or you have more RAM than me or something.  I still can't believe how much code I've had to look at so far for this map, lol.  The only thing my map needs is the completed flowline data.  :)  Anyway, however it works out I'll probably take a break for a week, and start on Oregon sometime the first week of February.

-Oz-

krellor; if you have the data uploaded somewhere I'll download the flowline data; process it, and then put it up on the server for you...
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

dhisum_dhisum

Oz, I did put the gnis data in there. It is really weird. When I look at the gnis data in GM, it seems like most of the mid washington is missing data. Eastern and western washington seems to have it. The same gets reflected in the final map. Krellor, I will try and get the Washington NHD processed data uploaded to  your server tonight as I still have it.

dhisum_dhisum

Currently uploading a single file nhd.zip to the ftp server Krellor provided. Hope this helps.

dhisum_dhisum

Krellor, the processed nhd data has been uploaded to your server. I created a separate directory for Washington and placed it there. Hope that helps.

krellor

Thanks for the Data upload.  Oz was also kind enough to help me out with that, so thanks to both of you.  Now I have cGPSmapper churning away, so we will see how it comes out.

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

spiiiguy

Hi, I've been using the wa topo 24k built from this thread.  I was wondering if there are any plans to make a version that includes the POI data found in like Topo 2008 or Topo national parks 24K.  I like the 24K detail but it's missing the mountain peaks, trailheads, picnic areas, etc.  Could somebody explain how to recompile the maps with the POI data if I already have a csv to add to each tile? what settings do I use with cgpsmapper and global mapper?/gpsmapedit

I've been using this map in conjunction with northwest trails and really love it.

thanks

maps4gps

As you already have the data in csv format, why not use Garmin's POI loader?  You could then add/change any info very easily at any time.
If you wanted the info as a map layer, create one (or more) as an overlay 'mapset'.
The method you are asking asking about would be a lot more work and would involve copywrite issues.