GPSFileDepot.com

Generating 24K maps for entire washington -- a little help

Started by dhisum_dhisum, January 19, 2009, 06:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhisum_dhisum

Hello, I am a newbie. I downloaded the DEM data for the entire state of washington and have finally after a lot of work generated 40ft contours of the whole state in the Global Mapper gmp format. Since GlobalMapper would cop out when I would give it the whole state at once, I did it chunk by chunk. Today I selected all Washington state subbasins and provided the email address to download the files in the morning but have not received anything so far. Any ideas how long it usually takes?

Thanks
-Dhisum

-Oz-

Anywhere from 2hrs to 48 hours; if its been longer than 48 hours resubmit the request.

Large orders seem to arrive around 4am.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

dhisum_dhisum

Thanks. The data has mostly arrived. I will muck with this and get back to you folks with results.

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

krellor

When I requested the NHD data it took them 5 days to get back to me for Washington State.  I just finished a map of the state with 200 foot contours, and am generating one with 40ft contours right now.  I found with the contour data exporting in smaller grids helps as parts of the north cascades will eat up all your system memory and global mapper will throw an error and exit.  Good luck.

-Oz-

will either of you two be releasing the map anytime soon?

I know a lot of people are looking for washington, esp since even the "better" one isn't free.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

krellor

I plan on releasing the 40 foot contour map and then compressing and putting on one of my ftp servers the raw data so others can customize their own.  I have been tweaking some of the POI and NHD data, as well as checking the map for accuracy.  All I am waiting on now is the re-processed NHD data.  I think that either I have horrible luck with the software in the tutorial, or Washington State makes some bigger shape files than in the tutorial because I'm always running into weird out of memory errors.  For instance, the combined flowline shapefile is just shy of 2 gigs.  I don't know what is normal, but I had postgre die a couple of times before it successfully exported all of the data to a shape file.  I expect to have the 40 foot contour map done, if not today (barring no more weird errors) than by the end of the week.  I already uploaded the 200 foot contour to my garmin and went to a couple USGS markers around here to test it, and it seems ok. 

krellor

In case you have this problem, when exporting the processed data from the nhd_flowline table I had to break the data into quarters and export individually.  I made 4 other tables, and put about a quarter of the records in each, and exported to 4 different shp files.  There were about 4 million records after processing the data, and after exporting about 3.1 million I would get a fwrite().  Breaking it up into quarters worked well.

krellor

Well, I've already been planning on doing Oregon, so sure.  Though, I already have Washington done as well, I just went back to add some data that was missing.  I noticed some peaks missing in the POI and some of the names in the waterbodies were names that don't match up with my USGS paper maps.  It doesn't seem to like duplicate names either in the POI download, as there were several peaks that share a name, but only one gets included in the download, like Diamond Peak.

dhisum_dhisum

Well, if the 40ft map is already done, then there is not much point me doing it as well, but unless I see it out in the wild to be downloadable for free, I will continue. I have finished all the data preparation steps and currently GM is humming along generating the MP files. When that finishes, I will start cgpsmapper and see how that does. I could not find the National Park information and I skipped making the county boundaries, but other than that the rest of the data is there. As someone else pointed out, the Cascade Mountains generate huge contour file but lucky me but I have a good machine so it should be ok. Initially I started with 20ft contours but GM kept on crashing, so I finally switched over to 40ft.

If the MP file generation finishes today, I will start the cgpsmapper process tomorrow morning and hopefully by next week early, the maps will be ready.

krellor

Meh, I've always been planning on putting it up for free download, but I'm not going to rush my build and not include data, data that I use for mountains that I hike and climb.  I never said stop building your map, just said that I had already done Washington, because you had suggested (or implied, whatever) that me and the OP stop and focus on Oregon.  All well and good, but I don't appreciate the comment that I wouldn't share the map or that I would sell it even after I said I would put it up along with the raw data on one of my FTP servers in a previous post on this thread.

So yeah, do whatever, I really don't care.  I'm going to keep making maps of areas and mountains that I climb, and I'm going to make sure the data I need is there.  If it is useful to others, great.

-Oz-

I was going to do Oregon as well; I only have some of the data done.

With that said; if someone else will do it then I can move to somewhere else.  I will also be trying our Mapwel with this one.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

krellor

Thanks for the explanation, and I apologize for getting snapish.  As far as not releasing it, not to worry, I'm converting some shape files to GMP files to reduce size during processing, but after that I'm going to process it and wrap it up in a executable.

As far as coordinating with Oregon, if people are interested we could divide some of the work and I could create some accounts on my FTP server to help transfer files around.  I dunno how people would want to divvy the work.  I don't really care, but if people are interested in that let me know.

dhisum_dhisum

I would be interested in oregon as well. We could coordinate. We could divide the work between dem, nhd and transportation data. I cannot however host the data. Would that work for you Krellor? or anybody else? By the way, for the site moderator, the washington state xml file is incorrect in that the URLs for the NED data are all the exact same except for the first one. I had to recreate the URLs by hand to get the right data from the seamless server.

dhisum_dhisum

I meant the excel file not XML. Guess I am feeling sleepy :)