GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Question for new GPS user about making Custom Maps

Started by duckypaddler, September 13, 2010, 05:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duckypaddler

First off. I would like to thank this site for the wonderful software for my GPS. It works great and saves me $. I used it off trail for the first time this weekend and the 20 foot contour topo lines on the South East software from this site were great.

My question is how do I make a transparent map of the trails in The Great Smoky Mountains. A local professor has all the trails posted and I can upload them in MapSource under Tracks (721 of them). When I try to upload them to my GPS (Garmin E-trex Vista Hcx) it says that the unit is limited to 50 tracks with a maximun 32,000 points. So I would like to make a transparent map (like the one available on this site that is a trail overlay from the 100k maps) but for the Smokies trails. I realize some of the more expensive gps units come with better software and allow to make custom maps, but all I have is mapsource and I couldn't figure out a way to do it there. If it's easy enough to do if someone could point me in the right direction it would be great and I will make one. The local professor also lists all the peaks, balds, waterfalls, which I have already loaded as waypoints, but would also be a nice addition to a transparent map. I'm guessing I'll need another software program. If it's hard, then can someone help me if I get you all the relevant data? Any help would be gratly appreciated. Thanks

duckypaddler

Thanks a bunch. I downloaded and in 5 minute I had it as a map in mapsource. I haven't downloaded to gps yet, but this should work fine. I love it when you can get your problems solved by a helpful stranger on the internet.

Is there a place to post the map I made if others want the Smokies Hiking trails, or should I just e-mail the guy that makes the My Trails on this site and have him add it to his map?

Thanks again,
James Locke

Boyd

Go to http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ and click on the "Your Account" link at the top of the page. You can post a map using the link that you find there.