GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

final problems

Started by deepspace, January 19, 2009, 10:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deepspace

Hi all, seems I must have the most problems of the people working on a project.
For several days I have been attempting to get a mp to img with gps mapper. I keep coming up with a weird set of errors. After which I can never re-open the mp file with mapedit. I keep having to build a new one ending up in the same place.
Here is the error from gpsmapper usaully about 20 minutes after starting the process:

BE SURE TO READ LICENCE.TXT FILE WHICH COMES TOGETHER WITH CGPSMAPPER
OR GO TO HTTP://cgpsmapper.com
Non Commercial only - Free cGPSmapper version with extended set of types
Custom type definition    : YES
ESRI data support         : NO
POI full info             : NO
POI indexing              : NO
City indexing             : NO
Find intersection support : NO
Street numbers support    : NO
Street full address       : NO
Global indexing support   : NO
Auto-routing support      : NO
Marine (extended) types   : YES
Map locking support       : NO
          Garmin and MapSource are registered trademark or trademarks of
                     Garmin Ltd. or one of its subsidiaries.
              cGPSMapper home page: http://cgpsmapper.com
Importing and preprocessing data
Current import datum is: W84 :WGS 84 Global Definition II
909.50 s

Aborting program due to errors. Check error message above.
bad allocation
I do not see a error above to work on

Then when I try to re-open the map I get several errors this one being the most common:

Loading data from file 'C:\washington\state_base.mp'...
WARNING: Can't read file 'C:\washington\state_base.mp'.
ERROR: loading has terminated.
1 warning(s).
Load time is 0.06 s.

Once in a while it will tell me the map is empty even though it 1.6 gigs in size.
Any one else seen these errors?
Cheers-Marc

maps4gps

I have encountered something similiar using GlobalMapper.  Happens when I have somewhat over 1Gb of .shp files open (with 3Gb of RAM) to create the .mp files (usually under 20Mb in size).  The template file with the IMG ID section information does not get placed in front of the data and therefore neither cgpsmapper nor mapedit can use the file.  I have never used mapedit to create the .mp file (nor created one over 80Mb in size).  You may want to check to see if all the 'header' info that is supposed to be in front of the data is actually there in that large of a .mp file.

-Oz-

I'm with maps4gps; I go through all the files once complete with notepad++ and make sure they all have the proper header.  I increment the IMG ID by one each time.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

deepspace

the final header looks as it should. The levels are correct and so forth. I dumped the dictionary to see if that would help (since I did not use it on the first one and had no hitches). As I added each .mp I checked the header (interesting how the levels would change for no real reason)
I'll do it again. Opening a over 1 gig file in note pad would take for ever.
Just to be clear what do you mean exactly by increment the image id each time?
Cheers-Marc

-Oz-

lets say I have AZTopo_A1 its its 3654371 then AZTopo_A2 is missing a header then I add it with notepad++ (note this isn't regular notepad) and make sure that it has the id 3654372.
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

deepspace

Yes notepad ++ is what I was referring to.
Ok I have my base (counties, state boundaries) I have my header which has a name of 12345678, I add another mp (contours) I had not made that contour file to have a name of 12345678 but when combined with the base the name becomes the name which was applied to that map (original base map 12345678) right? And so forth as you add each mp.
Sorry if I do not see something.
Cheers-Marc

-Oz-

are you combing the two files together; base+contours using dos or something.  If so, the contours don't need/shouldn't have a header.  If contours has a header and you end up getting two headers in one file that will definitely cause it to fail.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

deepspace

Combing the files with map edit as in the tutorial. add to base: contours, water, roads, gnis in that order.
I have a new one made last evening. It leaves out the contours, so the file size is only 250 megs. I can open it over and over no problem. I still have the problem with attempting to create the .img file it give this error:
Importing and preprocessing data
Current import datum is: W84 :WGS 84 Global Definition II
909.50 s

Aborting program due to errors. Check error message above.
bad allocation

How does one deal with this allocation issue? I did not have it on d 55 meg map following the exact same process.
I can not believe size is the issue.
Cheers-Marc

-Oz-

Marc, if you zip the file how large is it?

I may have you upload it so I can see the file.  Its a really odd error.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

deepspace

Oz, 55,793 a tad on the large size.
I was thinking about un installing gpsmapper and cleaning everything up then making a clean run at it again.
Cheers-Marc

deepspace

Success. Memory issues! I got a hold of Stan he suggested memory may be the culprit.
I split the map at 122* creating 2 files of about 125 megs and things flew as expected. So to do the whole state as one I will need to not use the older laptop in the observatory.
Hopefully some one in the future stumbling about at this will spot this and save themselves some time.
Thanks again for all the help!
Cheers-Marc

maps4gps

Did Stan give any indication of what the largest .mp file size and/or number of features could be?

-Oz-

i would bet that on top of the computer memory limit that cgpsmapper also has one (like global mapper).  So even having 4-8gb of ram won't help some computers.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

deepspace

Sorry for the delay in responding. No he did not give a number. I will e-mail him back today and see if he offers one.
Cheers-Marc