GPSFileDepot.com

Getting City maps from GPS unit to Mapsource.

Started by Mister URL, August 30, 2010, 04:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister URL

I have a nuvi 850, loaded with city maps CN North America NT 2010.20. It works fine, is unlocked and everything. But I cannot figure out how to make the map on it transfer into MapSource so I can see it on m PC and use the Trip & Waypoint software.

When I tell it to transfer from the device to the PC using MapSource, it brings in only a yellow box. When I tried the tutorial to convert the .img files, it appears to work, and the mapset shows up listed in MapSource, but it says it is locked. When I try to unlock it (I have the unlock code) it sends me online, and Garmin tries to unlock it on the GPS unit. I am baffled. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Can anyone tell me what that something is?

Thanks.

-Oz-

You can't legally take the map off of the nuvi and use it in MapSource.  On the other hand BaseCamp will allow you to view the map on the PC.  Just download and use that one.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Mister URL

Is it just the city maps that are restricted in this manner? I used to view Garmin Bluechart maps from a 276C chartplotter in Mapsource, and could set water routes using waypoints, then download the tracks to the plotter.

Thanks.

Mister URL

Never mind, I found the answer. Thanks again.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Mister URL on August 31, 2010, 03:48:38 AM
Is it just the city maps that are restricted in this manner? I used to view Garmin Bluechart maps from a 276C chartplotter in Mapsource, and could set water routes using waypoints, then download the tracks to the plotter.

Thanks.
Used to maybe, Charts now have to be viewed with HomePort, not MapSource.