GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

New 60csx ... SD cards

Started by woodstramp, August 29, 2010, 08:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodstramp

Well, suddenly I'm the owner of two Garmin handhelds.   A used Legend for cheap three weeks ago and now a pristine 60csx, also for a good price. 

The shiny new looking 60csx only came with a protective cover. No other accessories.  There was no SD memory card installed the unit either..  The Garmin online PDF manual says that a "micro SD" is needed. Got one of those, so I'm good to go, i thought..... But when I opened the unit up the little SD slot is actually a larger mini slot, not a micro slot.  As my luck goes.....nobody in town has mini cards.....or  adaptors....anyway I'm sidetracking....

What I need to know is does the 60csx accept SD and SDHC type cards or just SD types?  These are older units, but I hope SDHC will work.

-Oz-

umm, the 60csx definitely uses microSD not miniSD or regular SD.  You should just use your nail; push the silver piece back and then lift it up and set the microSD card in place.

I only have microSD and SD cards.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

woodstramp

Oz (and moderators)

The little metal clip.....I thought that the card was slid into it.  Didn't realize that is just the clamp that holds the card down.  Duh.....I'm used to another brand that works like that.

Mods, remove if you care to.  Sorry.

Indrid Cold

All is good, the Oregon has this same metal card holder, bit different the the eTrex where you pop the microSD card in the slot. As long as you have the current software in you GPSMAP 60 CSx you will be able to use larger capacity cards. Last time I went to purchase a 1GB card (as it was all I needed for the maps I was installing), the smallest I could find locally was an 8GB microSDHC one.

-Oz-

And we'll definitely leave this post; it will help someone else out; trust me.
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

woodstramp

Just a little follow up....

Got most of my home state area loaded onto the 60csx's card.  Not only your topo stuff, but some open street maps (to see how it autoroutes).   I thought there'd be some kind of conflict, but it runs both map types together fine. I even found a place in the menu where you can turn off each mapset (OSM or topo) off, in bulk.  That's kind of handy.

So far, I really like this unit.  Screen is nice and larger than what I'm used to. Eyes aint what they used to be.  Really accurate in my testing, so far. At least on WP's I've set.  When it says it's within 8', it has been 90% of the time. Battery life is excellent (over 21 hours on first set).   Only drawback is it doesn't allow paperless geocaching. 

One question to cachers who use this unit.....this thing has separate menu icons for "Waypoints" and "Geocaches"....is there a way to eliminate having all the geocaches stored in the WP icon section?  You can sort them by symbol, but it would be nice to have only WP's in the WP file and GC's in the GC file.  Thanks.

-Oz-

I haven't heard of a way to eliminate that and still have them in the geocaches list.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

woodstramp

Thanks Dan.

It's kind of strange that if you push the Find button and select the Waypoints icon and ALL WP's and CG's crammed together in the list.  You select the Geocaches icon and only see GC's, no regular WP's.  It'd be nice if the Waypoints list could have only WP's in  it.

I'll call Garmin and tell them I'll get mad if they don't fix this just  for me. :)

MichaelJ07

I am a new 60csx owner as well, woodstramp.  I use it every day (to learn it and, admittedly, to just play.)  I love it and it does everything I could ever ask it to.

Regarding your listing of waypoints, when in that screen if you hit menu, you get an option to Find by Nearest.  This will show those points relative to the cursor.  Also, if you see that "keyboard" screen, you can hit quit and it will go away, but leave the waypoints in alphabetical order.  Depending on how many points you have saved, it can be either a long list or a short list.  I use this when I'm sitting in Lower Michigan and want to see my deer blind waypoints in the Upper Peninsula....because I'm bored (I guess.)

Anyhoo, I love my 60 and hope you have many hours, days, months, and years with it.  These folks are great and will help you with just about anything you can come up with.  Believe me, I've tested them.

Mike
The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

playful

Hi woodstramp!

In response to your original SDHC question...
Higher on the thread, Indrid mentioned 8GB cards.
I have a 16GB card on my 60CSX and am sure others on the forum do too. A 32GB card would probably work, but where would you get the maps?... LOL...

Just beware of the so-called "sandisk ultra" issue, some people have reported no trouble with Kingston class 4 cards but I am still on class 2.

Warmest wishes,

Andy

*Link Removed*  (free ebook and website)

ds1042LS

In reference to your remark that the 60csx does not allow paperless geocaching, How do I load them? Can I not use the download feature from Geocaching.com.
Your help is appreciated.
Dave

[email protected]

I am new to this gps stuff and now own a gpscsx and what I have read it can only read 4 gigs am I getting bad info or just reading it wrong ??

Indrid Cold

Quote from: [email protected] on February 11, 2011, 07:45:36 PM
I am new to this gps stuff and now own a gpscsx and what I have read it can only read 4 gigs am I getting bad info or just reading it wrong ??
it can only read 1 map file named gmapsupp.img and that can be up to 4GB in size (-1 byte), you should be able to use up to a 32GB card with the current firmware. Understand that you will not be able to store a 4GB map file on a 4GB datacard due to the fact that after you format a 4GB card, you will have less useable space on it. Any unused space on a larger card can be used like a USB thumb drive if you wish.

Boyd

The 4GB limit is a result of the Windows FAT32 file system that Garmin uses on the card. The maximum size for an individual file is 4GB in this system, and since all the maps must be in one file, that's where the limit comes from. Additional empty space on the card could be used to store tracks if you enable the option to store them to a memory card.

Also realize that your unit can only recognize 2025 map segments. These are the individual tiles that make up the entire map. Tile size is determined by the map author - there are no standards. But it's possible that you will pass the tile limit before filling 4GB. For example, Garmin's TOpo US 100k on DVD contains 6,600 map segments but it's a little smaller than 3GB. So if you were using this map, you would max out the segment limit with 1/3 of the US, but the file would only be about 1 GB.

[email protected]

thanks to all, Really happy that I found this site, everyone explains everything very simple to understand and in detail unlike the garmin techs

Thanks again, Bill