GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Where do I start with the Oregon 450?

Started by jeffkruse, August 26, 2010, 10:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffkruse

I just bought the Oregon 450.  The documentation is so bad I don't even know how to get started. 

I want to load maps onto it from gpsfiledepot.com and I don't know where to start.  I have spent 8 hours on the web trying to figure out what to do.  I looked at the Wiki site but that didn't help me.

Do I need Mapsource or Basecamp?  Do I have to buy them?  Which one should I get? 

I plan on using the unit to go hiking in the Puerto Rican jungle to look for caves.  After I get comfortable with using the maps I also want to put Google images on it.

Please help me because I am about to give up.

leszekp

Some quick (and non-comprehensive) answers:

- You need either MapSource or BaseCamp to install the maps. MapSource you have to buy (it's also called Trip and Waypoint Manager); BaseCamp is free, and can be downloaded from the Garmin site.

- It's not actually BaseCamp you use for selecting/uploading maps, it's an associated program called MapInstall.

- After you get that out of the way, you should research "Garmin custom maps" and "Garmin BirdsEye"; that's how to get aerial/satellite imagery on your Oregon.

Garmin documentation is usually bad. For full info on the Oregon, check out the Oregon wiki:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

jeffkruse

Thanks!!!! 

I'll "try" to install BaseCamp tonight and go from there.  I'll start looking for MapInstall now.

I am sure I will have more questions tomorrow but now I have a place to start!

maps4gps

See the tutorial on obtaining MapSource free: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-install-mapsource-if-it-didnt-come-with-your-gps/

Also this tutorial: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

Most of the mapsets on this site come as a self-installing .exe file.  Run the file and everything will be done for MapSource or BaseCamp to see the mapset. 

My Puerto Rico Topo may be of some interest to you.  http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/244/

Indrid Cold

Quote from: jeffkruse on August 26, 2010, 11:17:21 AM
I'll "try" to install BaseCamp tonight and go from there.  I'll start looking for MapInstall now.
Don't bother looking for MapInstall, it comes bundled with the BaseCamp install.

jeffkruse

Ok, now I am confused again.   :(

I though I was going to install BaseCamp_305 and MapInstall (if its not already part of the BaseCamp bundle)  and these are free.

The tutorial has me loading TrainingCenter_353 and MapSource.  I thought I had to pay for mapsource and it didnt install maps on the GPS?

I am so confused?

maps4gps

Sorry for the confusion.

MapSource used to come as part of Trip & Waypoint Manager which was packaged with the GPSrs.
Garmin no longer does that, but has the training center thing available for free on their website - which gives you a copy of MapSource.  If you go that route be sure to do the free update to MapSource via Garmin's website.

I was trying to point out that MapSource could either be purchased or obtained free by going the training center route.

If this is getting too confusing, just use BaseCamp.  Either one will load the map files to your GPSr.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: jeffkruse on August 26, 2010, 01:16:44 PM
Ok, now I am confused again.   :(

I though I was going to install BaseCamp_305 and MapInstall (if its not already part of the BaseCamp bundle)  and these are free.

The tutorial has me loading TrainingCenter_353 and MapSource.  I thought I had to pay for mapsource and it didnt install maps on the GPS?

I am so confused?

The tutorial for getting the free copy of MapSource was written before Garmin Released BaseCamp and the Oregon series. I would avoid MapSource with an Oregon for several reasons, You will be able to transfer maps but will end up back here wondering why you are having troubles with waypoints, etc...

maps4gps

The OR is a problem!  Is that why I could not get the geocaching programs to transfer caches to the OR300?

Indrid Cold

Quote from: maps4gps on August 26, 2010, 05:50:22 PM
The OR is a problem!  Is that why I could not get the geocaching programs to transfer caches to the OR300?
They have changed how they manage data on the newer units, but haven't been able to update MapSource to accommodate it. RoadTrip on the Mac & BaseCamp on either platform are all newer software that take into account the changes. What geocaching programs are you referring to? BaseCamp will load geocaching PQ on .gpx files to an Oregon and also display all the geocache data within the software, unlike MapSource.

Boyd

The newer units (Oregon 450 and Dakota series) have some kind of "sync" technology that allows Basecamp to modify data directly on the device itself. With mapsource, if you want to delete one waypoint your would receive the entire collection from the unit, delete the waypoint, and send the collection back. On these new models, Basecamp can directly delete the individual waypoint on the device itself with no need to exchange the complete waypoint collection.

jeffkruse

I downloaded BaseCamp.  It worked but it would load maps into my GPS so I also downloaded Mapinstall and that worked.  It asked if I wanted Birdseye images and I said yes.  It check and since I didnt purchase it I only got a sample image.  Thats what I want!  Now I just need to buy Birdseye and hopefully it will all work.  Then I'll start to figure out waypoints and routs.

Thanks for the help.