GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin 60CSX or 62S

Started by hawkchalk, August 28, 2010, 11:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkchalk

Just asking for opinions here but if you could get a new 60CSX for $220 with Topo 2006 software, carrying case and cord and a 64Mb SD card or a new 62S for $390 which one would you choose?  I hate to spend extra money if I don't have to! I'm not sure the if the updated user interface is worth the extra $170.  Thanks for your time!!

Boyd

Topo 2006? I don't think there is such a thing. Garmin updated their 100k topo maps in 2008 (US Topo 2008). It had been a long time since they were updated, so if the maps you're talking about aren't at least 2008, they will be quite old.

Personally, I would pass on both of your options and get the Oregon 450 which is on sale at REI through Labor Day for $250. You could then add free maps from this site and you'd have a unit which is more accurate than the 60csx, with a much higher resolution screen, touchscreen interface, ability to use BirdsEye aerial imagery and more for about the same cost as the 60csx.

The 62S looks interesting, but $390 is ridiculous considering what you get. I think it's tough to beat the REI sale on the 450 at the moment...

hawkchalk

Thanks for the feedback!  Much to my wife's chagrin I took your advice and bought the 450 from REI.  It should arrive Th.  Anybody want almost brand new Venture HC?  ;)

Indrid Cold

Quote from: hawkchalk on August 31, 2010, 01:52:19 PM
Anybody want almost brand new Venture HC?  ;)
Thanks for the offer but I picked up one of the OR450 the first day of the sale :D