GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Arizona Topo Map Support Thread [Official]

Started by -Oz-, April 05, 2008, 03:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smorris

Nice work.  Just downloaded the latest update and can confirm that the roads in Pima look correct now.  I'll upload them to my GPS post haste and give them a try in the field immediately.

Thanks for all the work on this.

-Oz-

Glad to know it works since I'm not in Arizona right now.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

slowgoat

Pima county roads still look a little off.  Just wanted to show you some data I collected, looks like the river path in the data I am sending is 100 percent correct, but the surface streets are still a bit off to one side.  It looks good in Garmin TOPO.

BTW, I love these maps!   Thanks so much for all your hard work.  I am definitely donating some bucks!  Just want to help get them correct!  Am also sending you Green Mountain Trail (off Mt Lemmon/Santa Catalinas). Compressed with RAR.

Thanks for all the great stuff!!! ;D ;D :D ;D :)

Desert Packrat

I have three items:

1)  SMorris identified a shifting of the data in the Southern half of the ArizonaTopo.  I too observe the same issue; If you select Broadway in Tucson it is approximately 73 feet due south of the location that Garmin Navigator 2009 and my GPS reports it.  I was wondering if there has been any headway in correcting this.

2) I have GPS tracks and routes data for all the trails in the mountain ranges around Tucson.  I would be happy to share them with GPSDepot or SMorris.  I have already created a Mapsource enabled package of imgs, but I would love to learn how to create a redistributable install or have you add them into ArizonaTopo.  I started the project of mapping the trails about 7 years ago so I am in the process of using more accurate tools to improve them. Some I admit are 10-50 feet off, but the trailset is very comprehensive.   Let me know if you are interested.

3)  I also have created some interesting other packages - Using government redistributed shape files, I have created maps that display all the geological zones of Arizona (non transparent, descriptive marker), Coronado National Forest Fires historical fires (non transparent, descriptive marker with name, year), geological faults (transparent, unmarked) of Arizona, and mines (transparent, descriptive marker of name, type) of Arizona.  I use all of them on my 60Cx along with your ArizonaTopo.  I am considering adding climatic information into a dataset. Let me know if you are interested.

-Oz-

1.  I haven't had time to look into the 73 ft issue in Tucson.  I'm wondering if its the same everywhere because when I remade the transportation data I didn't just replace the Tucson area I remade the entire state so it all should be on the same datum.  I could shift everything 73ft but there has to be an error.  Global Mapper normally handles projections on its own so maybe one wasn't there and I picked the wrong default.

2. I would absolutely love them.  Trails are the most important thing on a topo and this one is lacking.  I now know how to get all the Forest Service points (ranger stations, trailheads, etc) so I have those all set to be added for Arizona now too (they're in Mississippi).  I saw your email so I'll reply there as well.

3.  The last set is somewhat interesting.  I wouldn't want to add it to the topo (except maybe the mines) to avoid information overload but I would want to help you distribute it to other interested people.

To create the self extracting installs the tutorial is right here and all the software is completely free: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-create-garmin-topo-maps---part-9---compiling-data/
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Desert Packrat

Thanks for all the info.  I appreciate you looking into the Arizona Topo.

I am going on vacation for a week, but when I get back I will post a file on my website (http://members.cox.net/klaporte/dp_map.html) with better trail data for Sabino Canyon, Saguaro National Park and Redington Pass.  I will also be posting my other Mapsource maps.  Thanks again.

-Oz-

New update released; fixes bugs introduced in version 2.0 and brings searching (use the find feature) to the map.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!