GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Old Legend...New Map Help

Started by woodstramp, August 15, 2010, 12:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodstramp

I looked in the Tutorial on sending a map to a Garmin, but didn't see reference to this warning I get in Mapsource, so I'm asking here.....

Got my first Garmin handheld.  An old Legend (8mb of memory).  Just got a new cable put together and it is able to talk to Mapsource.  I even updated the FW from 3.60 to 3.90 and have been playing with transferring WP's.  All is good except.....

There's only 8MB of internal memory, so I wanted to see what a small chunk (2.64 mb) of your detailed SETopo map would look like on the legend.  The basemap is all that is on the unit now. 

I went through the steps to transfer that section of the SETopo to the GPS, but got a warning.  Something about "You are about to erase Garmin Preprogrammed data (if you transfer)...but that you could go to Garmin (a link included) to recover this data later", etc.

Is this saying that I will erase a part (or all of the ) of the stock basemap or something?
I'd really like to see what a topo map would look like on the legend, but I don't want to damage the basemap in doing so.  Thanks.

Indrid Cold

What maps are on the unit other than the basemap? Some units come with US Tidepoints... You can't erase the basemap, it's burn into the ROM.

woodstramp

That was quick.  

Ingrid,  

As far as I know there is only a basemap.  I found a "map setup" page and it lists it as "Americas Marine Point Basemap 2001".  There is a checkmark box.....guessing I can turn it off?

I don't know much about Garmins and I don't know why this Legend would come stock with something called a "marine point" basemap.  Just for fun (after seeing the "marine" part, I paged down to the Gulf Coast region and found that there are signal waypoints in the water.  Maybe beacons or something

The road part of the basemap is really inaccurate I've noticed. Far worse than the Magellans and Delormes I've used.

What I'd like to do is transfer a tad bit of a topo detail map, just to see if works in the woods around here.  I just don't want to fry the innards or programming in doing this.  It's a  been good little unit in my testing so far and I'm not wanting to booger it up.

Boyd

With the unit connected and Mapsource running, go to Transfer > Receive from Device and check the Maps box. That should copy any map on the GPS to your computer where you should be able to save it. Quit Mapsource, restart it and confirm that you can open the file. If so, then you can send your other map and it will erase the pre-installed one.

Alternately, if there's enough memory, you can send the pre-installed map PLUS part of the topo map back to the GPS together. To do this, you would select sections of each map using the dropdown map menu and send them all together.

If, however, you are not able to receive any maps from the device in the first place, then I don't think anything is really there and you are getting a bogus warning message. You might also try a bit of old fashioned RTFM if you haven't already done so.  ;D You'll find info on discontinued products here: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=167. The manual for the original Legend is here: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/manual.jsp?product=010-00256-00&cID=167&pID=173

Boyd

From Garmin's knowledge base - this could be related?

QuoteQuestion:  Why do I lose the Tide information when I send mapping data to a GPSMAP 162 or 168?
Answer:

The GPSMAP 162 or GPSMAP 168 has only 2.5MB of internal memory for storing mapping data. This space is used for tide data when it is manufactured. Anytime additional mapping is loaded to this device, it will overwrite the preloaded tide data. There are two ways of getting the tide data back onto the device.

The first way will install only the preloaded tide data back onto the device and will erase any of the mapping that was installed. Please follow these steps to perform this procedure:

1. Connect the device to the computer using the AC/PC cable
        1. For the GPSMAP 162, use this AC/PC cable
        2. For the GPSMAP 168, use this AC/PC cable
  2. Power ON the GPS device
  3. Download the install this program for the factory loaded tide data
  4. Once the file is installed, click on the Start button of the PC
  5. Click All Programs and choose GPSMAP 162-168 Tide Points Database Recovery
  6. Click Load GPSMAP 162-168 Tide Points Database
  7. When the Updater program starts, click on the Auto Detect button
  8. If the program does not find the device, follow the next subset of instructions. If the device is found, continue to step 9.
        1. On the device, press the Menu button twice to get to the Main Menu
        2. Highlight the Comm tab on the left hand side of the screen
        3. On the right hand side of the screen, change the setting for Serial Data Format to Garmin Data Transfer
        4. On the PC, Click the Auto Detect button again to find the device
  9. Click the OK button when the device is found
 10. Click the OK button to start the transfer of information to the device
 11. When the Message "The Update Was Successful" appears, click the OK button

At this point the preloaded Tide data will be back the device, however the mapping that was loaded to the device will be erased.

The other option will allow for both the new mapping and the old Tide data to be loaded to the device at one time. Please follow these steps to perform this option:

1. Connect the device to the computer using the AC/PC cable
        1. For the GPSMAP 162, use this AC/PC cable
        2. For the GPSMAP 168, use this AC/PC cable
  2. Power on the GPS device
  3. Download the install this program for the factory loaded tide data
  4. Once this program has been installed, open the MapSource program
  5. Inside MapSource, click View at the top of the screen
  6. Click Switch To Product
  7. Click GPSMAP 162/168 Tide Points
  8. Select the maps from this product that cover your area
  9. Switch to the mapping program that is desired by clicking View at the top of the screen
 10. Click Switch to Product
 11. Click on the mapping program that is to be installed on the device
 12. Select the maps from this product that covers the area needed
 13. Once the maps from both the mapping program and the Tide Point Database are selected, both can be transferred to the device at one time
 14. Click Transfer at the top of the screen
 15. Click Send To Device
 16. When the new box appears, make sure the device is listed in the Device box
 17. If the device appears, skip to step 18. If the device does not appear, follow this subset of instructions
        1. On the device, press the Menu button twice to get to the Main Menu
        2. Highlight the Comm tab on the left hand side of the screen
        3. On the right hand side of the screen, change the Setting for Serial Data Format to Garmin Data Transfer
        4. On the PC, Click the Auto Detect button one more time to find the device
 18. Click the OK button when the device is found
 19. Make sure Maps has a check-mark beside it
 20. Click the Send button
 21. When the message "The Data Was Successfully Sent" appears, click the OK button

At this point, both the mapping and the original Tide data can now be viewed on the device.

Referenced Links:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=750

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=753

http://www.garmin.com/software/RecommendedMapSourceUSTidesSoftware.exe
Last modified on:  07/06/2010

jtkt1981

It's like Boyd described, but the link to the preloaded Marine file for the original 8MB Legend is here:
http://www8.garmin.com/software/PreloadedMarinePOIDatabaseforeTrexLegend.exe

The description is as follows:
Download Preloaded Marine POI Database for eTrex Legend
If MapSource data is loaded to this unit, this unit's preloaded Marine POI database will be erased. Please download the file below to recover this Marine POI database. If you currently have MapSource data loaded into your GPS unit, it will be erased and replaced with this POI database.
http://www8.garmin.com/software/PreloadedMarinePOIDatabaseforeTrexLegend.exe (2.32 MB)

woodstramp

Thank you guys for all the help.  I don't have time to wade through it riight now, but I'll jump on it tonight. 

So far (despite it's shortcomings) I really like this little Legend.  Can't wait to see what I can make it do.

Boyd

I used a Legend C for a number of years and liked it. But it is really showing its age by today's standards. Serial interface is S L O W, but with only 8MB of memory, probably not much of an issue. Black and white screen is kind of limiting.

More of a problem will be the old-design receiver which is not very sensitive and easily loses a satellite fix under tree cover. Also takes a long time to get the initial fix. Modern units area huge improvement.

But it's a good start, since you already have it. Get out, use it and enjoy! If you start feeling the limitations later, there are plenty of new models to choose from.

woodstramp

JTK,

Thanks for that link to recover the marine stuff. 

Boyd, (and all)

I got to goof around with it today.  Found out that the basemap does stay put.  The only thing I lost in a map transfer was the marine data.   That's OK though (prolly will never need that data and can reload from JTk's link if I do.)

I was able to send two map sections.  About 5Mb's worth.  Looks amazingly well on the monochrome screen.  The only drawback was that it appears to slow the processor a good bit at start up. Slow menues and such.  Seems to plane off after it's been on at least 15 minutes and works almost as fast as originally after that lag time..  Worked great after I loaded about 50 cache WP's.  Even used it to find two this afternoon.

I'm going to give it to my daughter after I load MS and the topo files on  her laptop.  She can shift maps as need be.
Thanks to all for the link's/advice.

woodstramp

A little update after some use.....

With the help from some at Groundspeak I've since been able to upgrade the FW from 3.60 to 3.90.  Had to do a secret menu reset to get WAAS kicking again. 

Above, Boyd said: "More of a problem will be the old-design receiver which is not very sensitive and easily loses a satellite fix under tree cover"

This was an issue before the 3.90 FW update.  We have some purty thick tree cover here in central Bama.  When I was running the old FW the Legend would lose itself just walking to the mailbox (my driveway is a tunnel through the trees).  Walked down there again with the new FW (after WAAS kicked in) and lowest accuracy was 36 feet!  That ain't too shabby for an old clunker.

Also noticed that once a new map is "digested" by the unit that redraws are almost as fast as when just running the basemap.  Maps look great and seem very accurate so far.

Also, map changes on the serial cord are slow, but not that bad.  Usually about 15 minutes to push around 5-6mb. All in all I would buy another of these little units if the price was right.  Makes a good starter unit.

maps4gps

Good to hear you are happy with the unit. 
FYI - a unit using USB1 would transfer 5-6Mb in under a minute.  USB2 even faster.  And a card reader much, much faster.

woodstramp

Maps4gps,

I'm told by my computer geek friend that my old PC is in dire need of RAM and a new video card upgrade.  Maybe that is why my loads are so slow?  Regardless, it works.

BTW, you are the creator of the SETOPO that I've been using.  Outstanding work and thanks for that.

maps4gps

I have done many State topo maps, regional planimetric maps, State contour overlay maps, and various 'specialized' mapsets, but not the regional topo maps.

woodstramp

Well, I'm confused....I know I loaded the SEtopo from this site....I've seen your name on quite a few of the southern US maps and assumed it was made by you. I recall the name John Mckenzie at boot up.  Guess that's not you.

Anyhoo, thanks to you and whoever did make that regional map.

California L33

I know this thread is old, but woodstramp, the reason for the slow transfer is not your computer. The original Legend has a RS-232 interface. It moves data at a glacially slow pace. Updating your computer's RAM or video card will not increase your transfer speed. RS-232 is a 1960s technology. I think it was designed to move about 20,000 bits per second, with some tweaking done to improve that. I'm not sure what speed the Garmin port works at, but it's S-L-O-W.