GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Removing Maps

Started by cdagnese, August 12, 2010, 08:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdagnese

I've got a Nuvi 550.  I've installed a few maps from this site.  The Nuviis now acting funny and I want to remove these extra maps (all but the base map).  How do I go about it?

Thanks!

Carl D.

maps4gps

If it is like the handheld units; go into mass storage mode with it connected to a computer, then delete the gmapsupp.img file.  There are probably other mapset(s) with a .img extension - these are 'factory' installed so do NOT delete those.

cdagnese

Forgive my ignorance, but how do I get into Mass Storage Mode?

Boyd

Just plug your Nuvi into your computer with a USB cable. It should appear like a disk drive. Open the Garmin folder and look for a file named gmapsupp.img. Delete this and anything you have installed should be gone.

BUT.... it would be a good idea to copy the file to your computer before deleting, just in case you have a problem or want the other maps back.

If you have the other maps disabled on the Nuvi however, I'd say it's unlikely they are causing any problem.

alpine

For Nuvi's it is best to allow the Nuvi to "boot up" first before plugging in the USB cord and making the Nuvi go to "mass storage mode".

Also to delete all data you have put on the Nuvi (500 550) you can do a "hard reset" also known as a "Master Reset"

Master reset for the Nuvi 500, 550 per Garmin Tech Support:

1.  Start with the unit OFF and unplugged from power
  2.  Touch and hold the lower right corner of the screen with an index finger or the eraser end of a pencil
  3.  Continue touching and holding the lower right hand corner of the screen then power the unit ON
  4.  Release the power button when the device powers ON
  5.  You will see a new message: Do you really want to erase all user data?
  6.  Remove your finger from the touchscreen when this message displays
  7.  Touch Yes