GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

GPSMAP 62 series first look

Started by Indrid Cold, May 21, 2010, 01:05:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arash

I'm waiting for it to buy but heard it's not ready to buy yet. Is it true? has anyone bought it?

Boyd

Amazon says "This item has not yet been released.". Price - $450 - strikes me as a bit high. I'm sure it will come down, but that may take awhile. Oregon 450 is going for $350 and 60csx for $265.

Daveyisland

Am i correct saying the 62s is identical to the 62st other than the pre loaded maps?

Seldom

Yes about the preloaded maps, and I think it also comes with more internal memory, to accommodate the pre-loaded maps.

The pre-loaded topos generally aren't well reviewed since they aren't routable and the roads aren't precisely drawn.

maps4gps

Garmin's website indicates the st has 500Mb of free internal memory; the s has 1.7Gb.  The st would have more internal memory with the rest being used for the preloaded maps.  The extra preloaded map to make it a 'T' could be removed (and restored later).  At less than $10 for a 4Gb micro memory card the extra cost is usually not considered worth it.

Seldom

Quote from: maps4gps on August 04, 2010, 07:21:02 AM
Garmin's website indicates the st has 500Mb of free internal memory; the s has 1.7Gb.  The st would have more internal memory with the rest being used for the preloaded maps.  The extra preloaded map to make it a 'T' could be removed (and restored later).  At less than $10 for a 4Gb micro memory card the extra cost is usually not considered worth it.

I saw that after I wrote above.  But since it wasn't consistent with what they said about the OR series, which listed more memory for the T the last time I checked, I figured they just used the wrong numbers on the web page.

playful

Still madly in love with my 60CSX, but definitely curious to hear more about the 62S vs 60CSX...

Cheers

Andy
*Link Removed*  (free ebook and website)

-Oz-

Quote from: playful on October 10, 2010, 11:30:18 PM
Still madly in love with my 60CSX, but definitely curious to hear more about the 62S vs 60CSX...

Cheers

Andy
If it has the same odometer glitch as my Dakota then its not worth "upgrading" to me.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

lost911

This is my first gps.  The UI is abysmal but manageable after a while, but only just.  
The topo maps vary considerably in accuracy and usefulness.  Many trails are shown as roads.
The user manual is virtually worthless.   I really doubt you will get 20 hours out of a set of batteries.  I haven't kept accurate records but I'm guessing more like 15.  The screen can be very
hard to see sometimes.  I admit is kind of a fun toy but I would return it except that my wife
won't accompany me on our upcoming trek in S America without it.

Boyd

The touchscreen models (Oregon and Dakota) have much better user interfaces, and they are also cheaper. The 62 series is selling at a premium since it's new and some people actually prefer the "retro" pushbutton interface.

That being said, there is still a huge gap in terms of interface between the Oregon and an iPhone. Garmin is trying to move ahead in this area - the Nuvi 37x0 series is more iPhone-like (they even copied the appearance), with a multi-touch screen, but still rough around the edges. Will be interesting to see if any of these improvements migrate to their outdoor products (especially the big, beautiful screen).

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Boyd on October 14, 2010, 08:04:34 AM
Will be interesting to see if any of these improvements migrate to their outdoor products (especially the big, beautiful screen).
I'm looking forward to this also :)