GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

garmin map downloads and the dvds?

Started by sforl, August 09, 2010, 09:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sforl

What is the difference between the two? Are they the same? If given choice between downloading and buying the preloaded cards?
Thanks

Seldom

You can use the card in any GPSr.  You can only use the download or the DVD in a single GPSr.  The card isn't much good for trip planning.  Neither is the download.  The DVD will install maps to your computer as well as your GPSr, so you can use it for trip planning.

My vote: get the DVD.

sforl

is there a 24k topo dvd of the southeast? I can only locate the card or download!

Seldom

You mentioned DVDs in your header, and didn't say where you were looking for maps, so I didn't realize they weren't an option.  Given the choice of download or card, buy the card, but before you try that check out the free maps here.

Also, you didn't say what kind of GPSr you have.  Keep in mind that if you buy either the download or the card, you probably won't want to (may not even be able to) add maps to those you paid for.  This could be a drag if you find something on this site you want to use.  With any DVD distributed maps you can combine the maps from the DVD and maps from here onto a single card.

There is a 24k topo of the southeastern US on this site.  It's not routable, but if you buy CityNavigator NANT, that has routable roads for everything north of Mexico.  Trail data is pretty sketchy everywhere, so if you opt for the Garmin product, make sure it has the trails you want.  If you purchase CNNANT on a DVD you can then combine it with third party maps.  CNNANT takes about 1.1GB.  In addition to that I load a bunch of my own transparent topos on the card.  CNNANT and my topos combine to make a routable driving topo.

Boyd

I have the Garmin Northeast 24k topo maps on a pre-loaded micro SD card. The roads and trails are completely routable, just like City Navigator. Map detail looks pretty good. Personally I don't like the style of the Garmin topo maps, but that's just "my thing" probably, since most of the maps on this site use the standard Garmin styles as well.

One thing unique about the real Garmin product is the shaded terrain which newer Garmin units can display. This is created by DEM (Digital Elevation Model) data in the map, and it appears to be very high resolution on the 24k products. In the New Jersey pine barrens where i live, the terrain is very flat. However the little hills and valleys all appear as shaded terrain which really impressed me.

If your GPS can't display shaded terrain or 3d views, this feature may not be all that important, although it is also shown in BaseCamp and MapSource. The the new Nuvi 3700 series, the DEM data is used to generate a true 3d shaded view that is rendered in realtime - very impressive.

maps4gps

Quote from: sforl on August 09, 2010, 10:43:24 AM
is there a 24k topo dvd of the southeast? I can only locate the card or download!

Did you see this: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=35412
It says it normally ships within 3 - 5 weeks.  That is weeks not days.  I believe the SE is the last in the series so they are probably saying it will be available for sale soon (3-5 weeks).

Boyd

REI shows it on their website. Doesn't say when it will ship but I was able to add it to my cart.

sforl

I bought the venture hc but realized it wouldn't be adequate. Now I looking to buy one that will accept cards. I've looked at the Vista Hcx. I'm open to suggestions! I don't want to spend a great deal on a gps but want one that will meet my needs for hiking! Not really interested in using it for driving etc!
Which ever one I get  it needs to be easy to learn to use! Um not computer savvy!

Boyd

Look at the Dakota 20 (~$280) and Oregon 450 (~$340). The touchscreen interface makes them really easy to use and they are compatible with a much wider variety of maps, including satellite imagery ("BirdsEye").

Yes, they are more expensive but you get what you pay for...

sforl

Those are out of my price range! I don't need a touch screen! Which others do you suggest?

sforl

I'm starting a section hike of the AT next month! I wanted something to use for that trip!

Boyd

In that case, go with the Legend Hcx. On a tight budget, personally I don't think you miss much by not having the altimeter and compass from the Vista Hcx. The compass uses more battery power and must be held flat to operate. The altimeter isn't very useful unless you calibrate it each time.

Indrid Cold

I am going to recommend getting the Vista HCx over the Legend HCx. Holding the unit flat is no different that using my Suunto compass and there is no real toll on the battery life for the electronic compass or the altimeter, older models may have suffered from that. The battery life is so good on the unit that it alone has paid for the unit over the time of use.

Boyd

Interesting... turning on the compass on my 60csx has a noticeable effect on battery life.

-Oz-

Boyd, shouldn't the compass only come on when you're moving very slow?  Thats how my 60csx works
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!