GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Need Advice for an Afghanistan GPS

Started by Lazarus416, August 03, 2010, 04:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazarus416

I am military about to deploy to Afghanistan and I want to pick me up a reasonably priced handheld GPS that I can have on hand in case of emergencies.  I don't know a lot about consumer GPS's so I am wondering which ones can have Afghanistan maps loaded to them and once I do, will it be possible to save waypoints, plan trips, etc with them?  Any opinions will be welcome.

Laz

Seldom

Check this link for what's available on this site:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/country/af

Only Garmin GPSrs supported here.  Suggest you get one with a removable memory card, since it will give you more mapping options.  Older Garmin's support vector maps only.  Newer ones, Oregon's, Dakotas, and the new 78s and 62s support both vector and raster (bitmap) maps.  Dakotas, Oregon x50's and the 78s and 62s have an improved compass.

Lazarus416

Vector maps?  Rasters?  What is the difference between them?  What I would like to have is a topo map that shows roads and such that I can also "mark" on.  But I don't know if such a thing exists.  But at the least I want to be able to install maps that I can mark waypoints and make routes with.  That way if something goes wrong while I am outside the wire I have an extra resource to help me find my way back.  What kind of map format should I be looking for?.

Seldom

A raster map is a scanned bitmap image.  Zoom in to a raster and you see bigger pixels.

When you zoom a vector map, you see more detail the closer you go.

Raster support is less efficient and requires more memory, so it's only available in newer models. The advantage of raster is that it's easy to convert paper maps to put on your GPSr.

The advantage of vector is that you get scalable images, and can store a lot bigger map with the same memory.  Some vector maps are also routable.

Lazarus416

Ok, so it sounds like what I am looking for is a GPS that I can download routable vector maps of Afghanistan to then.  I don't foresee scanning paper maps to mine.  The only use I can see for it after I get home will be to use it as a street map GPS.  Can I assume that most any current retail model of Garmins will have this capability?  Provided I can find the maps that is?

Seldom

You may not scan raster maps, but others may have.  I noticed two in the Afghanistan link.

Most older retail Garmin's do vector graphics only.  A reliable older model is the 60CSX.  A smaller version is the Vista HCX.  The X is important because it means removable memory.

The Oregon's, Dakotas, and later models also do raster graphics, but since they are newer they are more expensive. 

Touch screen models displays aren't as easy to read as non-touch screens.  They are definitely not suitable to be mounted on a bike's handlebars because you can't adjust the angle for optimum viewing.

Check Amazon for pricing.

Lazarus416

FLHiker

Thank you for your service to our country.  Watch your six and get back home soon.

john_mora

hi,
im a military too, and i leave to afghanistan tomorrow. anyways, i use 2 GPS garmin: - Foretrex 401 and - etrex vista hcx.

-Oz-

My 60csx survived just fine and I'm taking my dakota 20 to Iraq in a few weeks.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!