News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Newbie help appreciated - problem loading into mapsource

Started by kzloy, July 04, 2011, 03:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbensman

You cannot edit an img file.

Try the way I suggest above.  It works.  I've done it over 100 times. 

kzloy

jbensman - I ran through your way you suggested above in dem2topo and it works, but then again, the dem2topo way has not been an issue at all GM has been from the start.  Dem2topo worked early on, even without altering the levels.  After I had the problem, I tried starting over with dem2topo to troubleshoot my issue and there was no issue when using it.  The issue comes in when I process anything through GM.  The end product in mapsource is always a rough preview file only.  I have looked at the data as much as my limited knowledge base allows in each step of the way to compare the two processes and the results of each step and can't find variation until it is loaded into mapsource.  I can just cut GM out of the equation altogether and move on, but for whatever twisted reason, I want to figure out what the issue is.

seldom_sn, what file are you deleting the double-polygon out of?  The only one that I find it present in, is the smaller preview .img file produced after running gpsmapper on the .mp file?  Are you saying you delete it out of that one, save as .mp and re-export to .img?

In the middle of this post I may have solved my problem:

To complicate things tremendously and confuse the last few straws of understanding I had clung to, I managed to run it again and to correctly show in mapsource having done it separately through GM and also dem2topo.  I took rough notes, but the best explanation I can come up with is it hinged on the map ID.  I did not alter the levels or transparency in either case.  I took the .mp file, changed the map ID to an 8 digit number starting with a 1 using gpsmapedit.  I then processed the .mp file in gpsmapper that spit out an 8 digit .img matching the 8 digit map ID.  Then processed that in MSTK and money.  I will see if I can repeat the results later when I can think straight and find out if it truly is the map ID.

Seldom

Delete any duplicate 0x4b polygons from the main MP file before compiling it to an IMG.  Be sure to leave one 0x4b polygon. Glad to know you got it to work. What were the MapID you changed from and the MapID you changed to in order to get it to work?

FWIW, I always use a GM template and assign an 8 digit MapID and file name based on the lat and lon of the tile I'm creating.