GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Routing Feature for Travel

Started by TCRay, July 18, 2010, 06:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TCRay

Maybe I misunderstand the meaning of "routing".  I have a Garmin 450.  If I set my first point at my home in Alton, IL and then choose a city, say Austin, TX and tell it to route, all I see is a straight line from point A to point B, but it doesn't route the course.  I have Garmin's Basemap as well as the Topo 100K loaded.

Do either of these products give a "turn by turn" routing, or is that something that I would have to purchase another product, like City Navigator, to achieve?

And, if these products don't actually route a course, what is "routing" for?

Thanks!

Boyd

Yes, you really need City Navigator for what you describe. Garmin's 24k topo maps also have routable roads. There are free maps from the OpenStreetMap project that can also do routing, and even a few maps on this site. However, they will probably not do what most people want.

"Routable" means the map contains data about how roads are interconnected and can give turn by turn directions between two points. Address search is another thing, and AFAIK, there are no third party maps that support that feature. So, for example, if you want to find directions from your home to 123 Main Street in Podunk, IA you will need City Navigator. City Navigator also includes POI's for businesses and other places so you can search for restaurants or sporting goods stores for example.

You could still use routes effectively without a routable map. For hiking, you might just want to know how far it is to a certain place "as the crow flies". Or you could create simple routes between points on a trail that would just "connect the dots" with straight lines. In fact, in the early days, that's all we could do with a handheld GPS!

Seldom

One thing I didn't see Boyd mention about City Navigator (North America NT).  It's available in three formats: download, microSD card, and DVD.  IIRC there's no difference in price for these products, but there are a few caveats.

1) The DVD product will be viewable on your computer, but it will be locked so that you can only send its maps to a single GPSr. 
2) The microSD product can be used in multiple GPSrs, but you won't be able to add any additional maps (like you find on this site) to it, and you can only see the maps in BaseCamp. 
3) People who bought the download indicated that it was the worst of both worlds.

Most people are happiest with the DVD.  Check online shopping sites like Amazon for the best price.

Boyd

Good points. Here's Garmin's FAQ (but note that you can now also use the data cards on your computer with BaseCamp software)

Question: Should I purchase mapping for my GPS on a disc, pre-programmed datacard, or as downloadable content?

Answer: Mapping for your Garmin GPS unit is sold in a variety of ways. It can be purchased on a disc, as a pre-programmed datacard, or it can be downloaded from our website. Please see below for the benefits of each format:

DVD/CD: Maps purchased in this format will require a computer to use but will allow you to plan trips on your computer and transfer waypoints, routes and tracks to your GPS device. The installation process will install the mapping and the MapSource application to your computer. MapSource can then be used to send maps to either your device or a datacard. Please note that most mapping products in this format are unlocked to a single device and they are non-transferable. City Navigator maps in this format can be updated by purchasing a mapping update, when available.

Pre-programmed datacards: Pre-programmed datacards are immediately ready to use. Simply unpack the card and insert it into your compatible GPS device. These maps do not need to be unlocked to your device which allows you to move the card to multiple units if desired, however you will not have access to the mapping on your computer. City Navigator maps in this format would need to be purchased separately when a new version is released.

Downloadable Content: Maps purchased in this format can be downloaded directly from the Garmin website. This is the quickest method of getting mapping for your next trip. Downloaded maps can be sent to either your GPS unit or a blank datacard. All maps in this format are unlocked to a specific device and they can only be used on the device that they were unlocked to. Similar to the pre-programmed datacards, this mapping is not available on your computer for use in planning routes. City Navigator maps in this format would need to be purchased separately when a new version is released.

Note: Before selecting your purchase option, be sure to review the requirements tab on the individual mapping product page to ensure your device and/or computer will work with the selected format.

maps4gps

Quote from: Boyd on July 18, 2010, 06:49:13 AM
Address search is another thing, and AFAIK, there are no third party maps that support that feature.

From a post a few hours ago on the OSM forums by Lambertus: 'The address search index of the Garmin map format is not fully understood yet.'

Boyd

I have read that before as well. There are a number of things we don't understand about Garmin's map format. How to insert DEM data? How to create 3d buildings? And most recently, their myTends, nuTrends and nuRoute features.

With Stan calling it quits, and Garmin showing no interest in sharing, we may never be able to use these features.  :(

Seldom

GPSmapedit has some address numbering features (which I haven't figured out.)
The mkgmap developers' mailing list has recurring mention of address search issues, so I assume they have a partial implementation.

Indrid Cold

Another way to "route" using the maps you have is to make a route with Google Earth and save the track to your GPSr and do a 'track back'. It the poor man's auto routing ;)