GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

2010 Census TIGER shape files

Started by maps4gps, July 16, 2010, 06:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maps4gps

The 2010 TIGER shape files will be released by State from Dec, 2010 through Feb 2011.

This is a departure from the Fall/4th quarter releases of the past three years (2007 was delayed until March, 2008; 2008 in Dec 2008; and 2009 in Oct 2009).

From email to Census - 'Since we are in a Decennial Census year, the scheduled releases of the geographic files follow the scheduled releases of the demographic data.   The shapefiles will be released on a flow basis, coinciding with the release of the redistricting data beginning in December.'  In the past, about 5 States (in some random order) are in each weekly release over a 10 week period.

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Indrid Cold

I guess that's a good excuse to delay the release ;D

maps4gps

The TIGER files also have boundary information for the Census blocks, block groups, tracts, township and larger.  These geographic polygons have to be defined properly so the April, 2010 head and house counts can be properly associated with them and valid visual products produced.

maps4gps

I checked Census yesterday, but was not expecting anything for a few more weeks.
TIGER files for four States were made available on Nov 30th - LA, MS, NJ & VA.
Later I noticed that AR, DE & MD had become available while I was downloading some files for the first 4 States.

Enjoy.

maps4gps

Interesting this 'Released on a rolling basis beginning November 30, 2010' - data for IN and IA were made available this morning.

maps4gps

The last four States plus PR were released earlier today.  I expect VI and the Pacific trust territories will be released next week.